computer shuts down

nickt

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2005

I have two problems that may be related. 1] The computer heats up, and it
seems the case fan is not working. I turn it off and back on again; the fan
now works and everything is ok. 2] Now and then, the computer shuts off by
itself, and the power button is off. I turn back on and every thing works. Is
the power supply responsible for both problems? I hope some one can help me.
Thanks, Nick.

Remove the case, check the fan for binding. Clean out the dust bunnies
while you have the case open. If that doesn't seem to be the problem, don't
use the computer until you replace the fan. Overheating will kill your
mother board and other things you don't want to have to replace. Fans
and/or power supplies are not that expensive.