how to regedit

my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
it back (what a company)!!
when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
has been disabled by your administrator"
I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
how can solve it? thanks

friend
7 answers Last reply
More about regedit

    Registry Editing has been disabled by your administrator
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakuirest.htm

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2CC52DBD-A1A5-48DB-8926-1C53F440197C@microsoft.com,
    Friend <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to
    > change it back (what a company)!!
    > when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry
    > Editing has been disabled by your administrator"
    > I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the
    > administrator. how can solve it? thanks
    >
    > friend

    Start, Run, msconfig, Boot.ini tab, checkmark /Safeboot, restart the
    computer.

    --
    Ron Sommer

    "Friend" <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to
    > change
    > it back (what a company)!!
    > when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry
    > Editing
    > has been disabled by your administrator"
    > I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the
    > administrator.
    > how can solve it? thanks
    >
    > friend

    If your homepage of choice has been hijacked, and you can't change it back,
    the registry editor is the last place to go..

    I assume that the "What a company" remark pertains to the homepage that will
    not go away.. perhaps you might tell us what it is?..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

    "Friend" <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to
    > change
    > it back (what a company)!!
    > when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry
    > Editing
    > has been disabled by your administrator"
    > I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the
    > administrator.
    > how can solve it? thanks
    >
    > friend

    Sounds like you've got some malware on your pc now. Try running a full virus
    scan and Spybot-Search & Destroy and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE. Do this in safe
    mode.

    "Friend" wrote:

    > my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
    > it back (what a company)!!
    > when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
    > has been disabled by your administrator"
    > I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
    > how can solve it? thanks
    >
    > friend

    Friend <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
    >it back (what a company)!!
    >when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
    >has been disabled by your administrator"
    >I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
    >how can solve it? thanks
    >
    >friend

    Your computer has been infested with a "home page hijacker", which is
    a type of spyware.

    Try using MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure at
    http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm to clean up your computer. That
    should also resolve the problem with running regedit.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Disable/Enable Registry Editing tools in Windows
    http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/regtools.htm

    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakuirest.htm

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Friend wrote:
    > my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
    > it back (what a company)!!
    > when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
    > has been disabled by your administrator"
    > I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
    > how can solve it? thanks
    >
    > friend
  7. If it is Windows 7, and trying to enable registry editor from command prompt, you will have to right click the command prompt and click 'Run as administrator':

    http://www.bukisa.com/articles/320543_how-to-regedit-when-the-regedit-virus-plagues-your-pc

Internet Explorer Regedit Windows XP