how to regedit

my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
it back (what a company)!!
when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
has been disabled by your administrator"
I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
how can solve it? thanks

friend

Registry Editing has been disabled by your administrator
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakuirest.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:2CC52DBD-A1A5-48DB-8926-1C53F440197C@microsoft.com,
Friend <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to
> change it back (what a company)!!
> when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry
> Editing has been disabled by your administrator"
> I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the
> administrator. how can solve it? thanks
>
> friend

Start, Run, msconfig, Boot.ini tab, checkmark /Safeboot, restart the
computer.

--
Ron Sommer

"Friend" <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to
> change
> it back (what a company)!!
> when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry
> Editing
> has been disabled by your administrator"
> I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the
> administrator.
> how can solve it? thanks
>
> friend

If your homepage of choice has been hijacked, and you can't change it back,
the registry editor is the last place to go..

I assume that the "What a company" remark pertains to the homepage that will
not go away.. perhaps you might tell us what it is?..

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

it all to themselves." - Lane Kirkland

"Friend" <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to
> change
> it back (what a company)!!
> when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry
> Editing
> has been disabled by your administrator"
> I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the
> administrator.
> how can solve it? thanks
>
> friend

Sounds like you've got some malware on your pc now. Try running a full virus
scan and Spybot-Search & Destroy and Lavasoft's Ad-Aware SE. Do this in safe
mode.

"Friend" wrote:

> my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
> it back (what a company)!!
> when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
> has been disabled by your administrator"
> I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
> how can solve it? thanks
>
> friend

Friend <Friend@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>my IE home page was set by some other internet web site and unable to change
>it back (what a company)!!
>when I try to run the Regedit.exe, I got the error message "Registry Editing
>has been disabled by your administrator"
>I am using windows xp home, and my user name is definatelly the administrator.
>how can solve it? thanks
>
>friend

Your computer has been infested with a "home page hijacker", which is
a type of spyware.

Try using MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix Procedure at
http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm to clean up your computer. That
should also resolve the problem with running regedit.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Disable/Enable Registry Editing tools in Windows
http://www.dougknox.com/security/scripts_desc/regtools.htm

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakuirest.htm

regards,
ssg MS-MVP