XP-SP2 Command prompt Case Sensativity Trivia?

I'm not sure why this is happening, but on my work PC, while at a command
prompt, everything is case sensitive, as in changingto directories (cd) to
some dir that might be C:\Temp is case sensative. I mean if I type cd
c:\temp, I get an error about the path-directory not being found. At home,
and in all the other Microsoft OS's I've worked in, I havenever found the
command prompt to be case sensative. Both at work and home are at XP-SP2, is
there some service or patch installed that causes this behavior? Something
in a GPO, or Posix? This may be trivial, but is bugging me. Thanks in
advance!

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 08:19:07 -0700, tboneshep wrote:

> I'm not sure why this is happening, but on my work PC, while at a command
> prompt, everything is case sensitive, as in changingto directories (cd) to
> some dir that might be C:\Temp is case sensative. I mean if I type cd
> c:\temp, I get an error about the path-directory not being found. At home,
> and in all the other Microsoft OS's I've worked in, I havenever found the
> command prompt to be case sensative. Both at work and home are at XP-SP2, is
> there some service or patch installed that causes this behavior? Something
> in a GPO, or Posix? This may be trivial, but is bugging me. Thanks in
> advance!

The network at work may have a policy in place. Example: XP Pro's Local
Security Policy Editor has an option to "require case insensitivity" for
system objects.

By default, Windows systems are not case-sensitive but other operating
systems are. If work has a mixed environment (likely), this may explain why
they would implement such a policy.

--
Sharon F
MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Is your default input language and keyboard layout set to English?

[Control Panel > Regional and Language Options > Languages (tab) >
Details... ]

Jon