Alternative to .lnk

We currently load our intranet page from group policy using the .lnk file
which then starts a .cmd file which loads the intranet page. As we upgraded
to WXP SP2 and Attachment manager views the .lnk file type as high risk we
would like to find an alternative way of doing this.

Any ideas

Hi Tim ,

I am not quite catch your meaning. Do you mean you deploy a link shortcut
which point to your intranet site? However, the Attachment manager shows
the link is high risk? Please correct me if I am off base.

Attachment manager has the different behavior in Windows XP SP2 than in
SP1 and take lnk file as the high risk one as described in the following
article below. I would like extract the contents below:

If the Attachment Manager identifies an attachment that might be unsafe,
the Attachment Manager prevents you from opening the file, or it warns you
before you open the file. The following determine whether you are prevented
from opening the file or whether you are warned before you open the file:?
The type of program that you are using.
? The file type that you are downloading or trying to open.
? The security settings of the Web content zone that you are downloading
the file from.

Note You can configure the Web content zones in Microsoft Internet Explorer
on the Security tab. To view the Web content zones, click Tools, click
Internet Options, and then click the Security tab. The following are the
four Web content zones: ? Internet
? Local intranet
? Trusted sites
? Restricted sites

The Attachment Manager uses the IAttachmentExecute application programming
interface (API) to find the file type, to find the file association, and to
determine the most appropriate action.

Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Windows Messenger, and Microsoft
Internet Explorer use the Attachment Manager to handle e-mail attachments
and Internet downloads.

The Attachment Manager classifies files that you receive or that you
download based on the file type and the file name extension. Attachment
Manager classifies files types as high risk, medium risk, and low risk.

You can open a blocked file from a known source if you want to. To open a
blocked file, follow these steps:1. Right-click the blocked file, and then
click Properties.
2. In the General tab, click Unblock.

Therefore, you can add lnk file as unblock file. For more details, please
refer to the following article:

Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260

HTH!

Best regards,

Rebecca Chen

MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA

Microsoft Online Partner Support

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Rebecca Chen [MSFT] wrote:

> Hi Tim ,
>
> I am not quite catch your meaning. Do you mean you deploy a link shortcut
> which point to your intranet site? However, the Attachment manager shows
> the link is high risk? Please correct me if I am off base.
>
> Attachment manager has the different behavior in Windows XP SP2 than in
> SP1 and take lnk file as the high risk one as described in the following
> article below. I would like extract the contents below:
>
> If the Attachment Manager identifies an attachment that might be unsafe,
> the Attachment Manager prevents you from opening the file, or it warns you
> before you open the file. The following determine whether you are prevented
> from opening the file or whether you are warned before you open the file:?
> The type of program that you are using.
> ? The file type that you are downloading or trying to open.
> ? The security settings of the Web content zone that you are downloading
> the file from.
>
> Note You can configure the Web content zones in Microsoft Internet Explorer
> on the Security tab. To view the Web content zones, click Tools, click
> Internet Options, and then click the Security tab. The following are the
> four Web content zones: ? Internet
> ? Local intranet
> ? Trusted sites
> ? Restricted sites
>
> The Attachment Manager uses the IAttachmentExecute application programming
> interface (API) to find the file type, to find the file association, and to
> determine the most appropriate action.
>
> Microsoft Outlook Express, Microsoft Windows Messenger, and Microsoft
> Internet Explorer use the Attachment Manager to handle e-mail attachments
> and Internet downloads.
>
> The Attachment Manager classifies files that you receive or that you
> download based on the file type and the file name extension. Attachment
> Manager classifies files types as high risk, medium risk, and low risk.
>
> You can open a blocked file from a known source if you want to. To open a
> blocked file, follow these steps:1. Right-click the blocked file, and then
> click Properties.
> 2. In the General tab, click Unblock.
>
> Therefore, you can add lnk file as unblock file. For more details, please
> refer to the following article:
>
> Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack 2
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260
>
> HTH!
>
> Best regards,
>
> Rebecca Chen
>
> MCSE2000 MCDBA CCNA
>

> Microsoft Online Partner Support

Rebecca would you please quote at least part of the message to which you
reply? Thanks.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi Rock,

Sorry, I replied to Tim and included the original message below: