Sign in with
Your question

Unresponsive start button

Last response: in Windows 7
August 13, 2012 11:30:23 AM

Hello,

My start button will not respond. How can I shut down my laptop without it?

Thanks

Pat
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 10:50:59 PM

The power button. You may have to hold it down a few seconds.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 11:04:46 PM

does your computer have a reset button ? if so you can remove the start button wiring and temporarily put the reset button wires on it. use the reset button to see if computer starts. if it does, the start button is faulty.

or you can use a flat screw driver ( regular screw driver ) to cross the 2 pins that the start button wires are connected to. if it starts the start button is bad.
m
l
Related resources
a b D Laptop
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 11:56:08 PM

swifty_morgan said:
does your computer have a reset button ? if so you can remove the start button wiring and temporarily put the reset button wires on it. use the reset button to see if computer starts. if it does, the start button is faulty.

or you can use a flat screw driver ( regular screw driver ) to cross the 2 pins that the start button wires are connected to. if it starts the start button is bad.

It's a laptop. Bad idea to stick a screwdriver in there! ;) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2012 12:01:07 AM

in my haste i missed that "laptop" word................ won't shut down when you close the lid ? maybe a hammer will work ... LOL
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:20:08 AM

Thanks for the advice - managed to do it in a civilized fashion per Task Manager - also the only way I can get on line at the moment.

Perhaps I should have asked how to restore the start button.
m
l
August 14, 2012 12:38:53 AM

This sounds to me like a setting in your power options in windows. Are you running windows 7?

In windows 7 you can goto Control Panel and open up Power Options. Then make sure that the High Performance power plan is selected (you can change it later if that's not the one you normally use). To the right of that plan select "Change plan settings" to open the next screen. Near the center of the screen, select "Change advanced power settings". In the Dialog box that appears scroll down to "Power buttons and lid" and expand that by clicking on the little + sign. You should see an item labeled "Power button action". Click that + sign to see "On battery" and "Plugged in". Click on each of those and set the value to "Shut down". Then click the Apply button. Now when you hit the power button the computer should automatically go through the power down sequence and shut down the computer. You may need to change the settings on any other power plans that you normally use as well.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2012 12:42:21 AM

I almost suggested the 3 finger solute.......... can you isolate yourself from the net and do some scans. Might be malware or virus' running rampant.

also check msconfig ( start/search... type msconfig ) and see what's running and start killing off unnecessary apps for the moment.

under services and under startup............ in services, at the bottom you will see a box to check to hide Microsoft's sevices. Will help see what else is there. good luck.

do scans in safe mode.......... also, shut down system restore before you do this stuff.
m
l
!