Transfering larger file via internet

Tags:
  • Connection
  • Computers
  • Internet
  • Networking
Last response: in Networking
October 15, 2001 4:22:18 AM

What is the best way to tranfer files around 300 mb between 2 computers via the internet? Both computers have boardband connection.

More about : transfering larger file internet

October 15, 2001 10:45:11 AM

if you both have msn or icq that would be fine, alternatevly, ftp but setting up and ftp server can be a pain if you are behind a firewall.

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
Anonymous
October 15, 2001 7:17:31 PM

definately ftp. if youa re using windows 2000, its easy to setup an ftp server using IIS 5. as CALV mentions, if you are behind a firewall or are using a router, you will need to forward port 21 (ftp). even then, its still a snap!

ignore everything i say
Related resources
Anonymous
October 16, 2001 12:09:56 AM

their is a utility called winrar and you can cut up sections of your transmit
October 16, 2001 11:22:32 AM

winzip and winace also split up files, however 300 meg on a cable connex should be a problem as 1 300 meg file, may be different of on a 56k dialup

Next time you wave - use all your fingers
October 16, 2001 4:36:03 PM

Thanks for all the reply.

We tried both MSN messenger and ICQ. They both transfering file very slowly and often diconnect in middle of file transfering. Both does not support resume.

Any other suggestion?
Anonymous
October 16, 2001 4:53:02 PM

well, if you dont want to set up an ftp, or cant, there is a program called Kazaa out there that allows you to share files over the internet much like napster did for mp3's. you could limit the number fo concurrent uploads to one, let your buddy download the file, then take the program off line. l

ignore everything i say
October 17, 2001 6:28:42 PM

Thanks for the information.
October 20, 2001 3:34:14 PM

CAUTION !!! if you use KAZAA it installs a ton of ad-ware and spyware on your computer....download ADAWARE from download.com or similar and run it to remove this crap AFTER you have used Kazzaa and UNINSTALLED it. A better idea might be to go with Morpheus from musiccity.com .. it uses the same interface and engine as Kazzaa but dosent sell your soul to the merchants with spyware

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>I'm a NASTY Intel\AMD\Nvidia\ATI user and I'm just gonna TAKE that d@mn cookie</b> </font color=blue>
October 22, 2001 7:02:42 PM

Thanks for that lagger! I ran that program and was shocked to find like 6 spyware clients running on my PC. AHH! But they are gone now, the evil scheming little spying little evil things.
October 22, 2001 10:07:00 PM

Yeah, those pr0n sites can be a bitch to clean off your hard drives.

<font color=green>I post so you don't have to!
9/11 - RIP</font color=green>
!