Do oem system builders get free M/S s/w?

A college lecturer told me about a year ago that oem system builders were
supplied with free Microsoft s/w for installation on new systems. I'm
considering building PCs for sale direct to the public and wondered if this
was (still) the case. If so, does it apply to both Windows and Office?
Thx.
12 answers Last reply
More about system builders free

    No, it isn't true. When you build a computer "for sale" you
    buy a Microsoft OS that is intended for such purpose. These
    OEM Microsoft CDs are the same as a retail OS, except for
    the license (EULA). OEM OS supplied by manufacturers, such
    as Dell, HP or eMachines, are licensed to the maker and may
    not have all the files, drivers or other features that come
    with the full MS OS.
    Attending some seminars presented by MS, often at colleges,
    does sometimes include "free" software.
    Often there is "trial software" included, but it is
    available on-line (order) to anybody. 30 day software
    trials.

    If you build one to a few dozen computers, you'll probably
    be buying software from a wholesale source, such as NewEgg
    (in the USA) but if you intend to build thousands of
    computers you will negotiate with MS for "your" deal and
    prices.

    some support

    "me" <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote in message
    |A college lecturer told me about a year ago that oem system
    builders were
    | supplied with free Microsoft s/w for installation on new
    systems. I'm
    | considering building PCs for sale direct to the public and
    wondered if this
    | was (still) the case. If so, does it apply to both
    Windows and Office?
    | Thx.

    System builders receive lower priced versions.

    Do you really think that an American business gives software away for free
    to people that in turn sell it to the general public? I hope that your
    major isn't Business.

    I am saddened to see that the colleges in the UK are as screwed up as they
    are in the US.

    There may be some trial versions involved.

    [[Trial software is a time-limited version of a Microsoft product; some
    trial software does not expire but may have limited functionality or
    features. You can order or download most trial software from Microsoft free
    of charge (shipping charges may apply), install it on your computer, and use
    it to decide whether you want to order a full version of the product. When
    the trial period ends, you have no obligation to purchase.]]
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/render.aspx?view=22&type=mnp&content=22/faq#EAAAA

    Microsoft Trial Software Center
    http://www.microsoft.com/products/info/render.aspx?view=22&type=std&content=22/EvalCenterHome&ss=22/xslt/campaignhome

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:11b3a0odcu6u847@corp.supernews.com,
    me <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> hunted and pecked:

    me <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> typed:

    > A college lecturer told me about a year ago that oem system
    > builders
    > were supplied with free Microsoft s/w for installation on new
    > systems. I'm considering building PCs for sale direct to the
    > public
    > and wondered if this was (still) the case. If so, does it
    > apply to
    > both Windows and Office? Thx.

    Your lecturer was either wrong or you misunderstood him. It was
    never true.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Contact MS sales and ask. They would know, and make any decisions not
    newsgroup participants.

    "me" <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote in message
    >A college lecturer told me about a year ago that oem system builders were
    > supplied with free Microsoft s/w for installation on new systems. I'm
    > considering building PCs for sale direct to the public and wondered if
    > this
    > was (still) the case. If so, does it apply to both Windows and Office?
    > Thx.

    "me" <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote:

    >A college lecturer told me about a year ago that oem system builders were
    >supplied with free Microsoft s/w for installation on new systems. I'm
    >considering building PCs for sale direct to the public and wondered if this
    >was (still) the case. If so, does it apply to both Windows and Office?
    >Thx.

    The only "free" software that is supplied to OEMs is the OEM
    Preinstall Kit which allows them to put the Windows installation
    files, plus hardware drivers and any application software that the OEM
    may be including with the computer onto the hard drive.

    OEMs buy their OEM versions from Microsoft at a price that is
    considerably lower than the retail price for the equivalent software.
    There are several reasons for this:
    1. OEMs buy the software in quantity, normally a minimum of 3 to 5
    licenses in a package.
    2. Packaging is just shrink wrap plastic rather than a retail box.
    3. and most importantly, in order to purchase OEM software the OEM
    must sign a contract with Microsoft which provides that the OEM, and
    not Microsoft, will be responsible for all support and product
    warranty matters regarding these OEM versions.

    Large volume OEMs actually produce their own "system recovery" disks
    (or partitions) and just purchase a block of product keys from
    Microsoft at prices that are even lower than the generic OEM software
    prices.

    As the provision for support costs comprises a substantial portion of
    the retail cost of software this allows Microsoft to sell the OEM
    versions at a price that is much less than retail product and still
    make a comparable profit.

    Hope this explains the situation.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    It originally came up in a discussion about who had XP. It transpired that
    I was the only one who had actually bought it as opposed to having a
    'pirate' copy. The lecturer suggested acquiring oem status as a means of
    getting XP provided free - although it would obviously have to remain with
    the system built to accommodate it. As he had several years experience in
    the electronics industry, we had no major reason to doubt him at the time.

    As for Wesley's comments: "Do you really think that an American business
    gives software away for free to people that in turn sell it to the general
    public? I hope that your major isn't Business." I hope your major isn't
    sarcasm, Wes. Ever heard of drug dealers giving it away to get people
    hooked? Given Microsoft's history of anti-competitive behaviour, it's not
    entirely unreasonable to expect something along those lines.

    Let me see - there's the $600m EU fine; in Japan, Microsoft were accused of
    making companies such as NEC, Hitachi and Sony, who wanted to pre-install
    its Windows software on their computers, sign away their right to sue, even
    if they found Microsoft has used their patent technology; $1.6bn spent
    settling class actions in the US in 2003; $750m settlement in the AOL case,
    etc. Microsoft clearly believes that it has the financial muscle to distort
    standard market practice and to buy its way out of a lawsuit. Enron and
    WorldCom also showed us that the US leads the way in honest
    trading...........(end of rant).

    Guess I'll stick to Linux and OpenOffice ;-) Thanks for all replies.

    "me" <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote:

    <snip>

    >Guess I'll stick to Linux and OpenOffice ;-) Thanks for all replies.

    Let's examine this magic mystical world of free software from a
    practical point of view.

    Software is written by programmers.
    Programmers are living, breathing human beings.
    And like all other humans programmers are addicted to eating.
    Eating requires food.
    Food costs money.

    So unless there is some means by which the work done in creating the
    software has the end result of providing the programmer(s) with money
    to buy food, pretty soon there will be no more free programs.

    As Heilein put it - TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free
    Lunch. Somewhere, somehow, somebody has to pay for it. Or there will
    be no more lunch.

    me wrote:
    > As for Wesley's comments: "Do you really think that an American
    > business gives software away for free to people that in turn sell it
    > to the general public? I hope that your major isn't Business." I
    > hope your major isn't sarcasm, Wes. Ever heard of drug dealers
    > giving it away to get people hooked? Given Microsoft's history of
    > anti-competitive behaviour, it's not entirely unreasonable to expect
    > something along those lines.
    >
    > Let me see - there's the $600m EU fine; in Japan, Microsoft were
    > accused of making companies such as NEC, Hitachi and Sony, who wanted
    > to pre-install its Windows software on their computers, sign away
    > their right to sue, even if they found Microsoft has used their
    > patent technology;

    An agreement not to sue is standard, often replaced with binding
    arbitration. Nevertheless, such an agreement can be part of a contract and
    NEC, Hitachi, etc., signed willingly after careful study by legions of
    lawyers. What you didn't mention is that often these agreements not to sue
    don't actually prevent anyone from suing! That's when the next clause of the
    contract latches in: huge penalties if you DO sue.

    > $1.6bn spent settling class actions in the US in
    > 2003; $750m settlement in the AOL case, etc.

    Cost of doing business. In New York, the fine for illegal parking is $50/day
    in areas where garages charge $100/day. Which would you choose?

    > Microsoft clearly
    > believes that it has the financial muscle to distort standard market
    > practice and to buy its way out of a lawsuit.

    It does. Microsoft has over thirty billion dollars in CASH stuffed in a sock
    somewhere. After several years of wrangling, Microsoft is now offering XP
    without Media Player in Europe (XP N). Guess how many manufacturers plan to
    install it?

    Zero.

    As one hardware manufacturer put it: "Our customers expect a system
    delivered with the ability to reproduce music and video pre-installed." By
    dragging out resolution of the issue for two years, Microsoft established
    these expectations in the user's mind. Real Player is a goner.

    > Enron and WorldCom
    > also showed us that the US leads the way in honest
    > trading...........(end of rant).

    I don't know much about WorldCom, but Enron is an exemplar of the business
    model: buy low, sell high. It wasn't their trading practices that brought
    them down, it was their back-office accounting.

    > Guess I'll stick to Linux and OpenOffice ;-) Thanks for all replies.

    We wish you well on a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system originally
    designed by a money-losing division of the local phone company and used
    today primarily by those who believe the MS-DOS Command line is not obscure
    enough.

    "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Guess I'll stick to Linux and OpenOffice ;-) Thanks for all replies.
    >
    > We wish you well on a knock-off of a 40-year old operating system
    > originally designed by a money-losing division of the local phone company
    > and used today primarily by those who believe the MS-DOS Command line is
    > not obscure enough.

    ROFL While I don't agree with you that is a very funny statement. It based
    on Unix as Windows is based on CP/M, both of which are based on a mish mash
    of what came before. Both have evolved. Both are viable today. Both need a
    bit of training to get the best out of them.

    Kerry

    MS hands out free OS copies to some of their customers IT personnel for
    their own personal use - usually when attending some function at MS HQ. My
    brother sometimes gives me his free gates specials l) .

    > It originally came up in a discussion about who had XP. It transpired
    > that
    > I was the only one who had actually bought it as opposed to having a
    > 'pirate' copy. The lecturer suggested acquiring oem status as a means of
    > getting XP provided free - although it would obviously have to remain with
    > the system built to accommodate it. As he had several years experience in
    > the electronics industry, we had no major reason to doubt him at the time.
    >
    > As for Wesley's comments: "Do you really think that an American business
    > gives software away for free to people that in turn sell it to the general
    > public? I hope that your major isn't Business." I hope your major isn't
    > sarcasm, Wes. Ever heard of drug dealers giving it away to get people
    > hooked? Given Microsoft's history of anti-competitive behaviour, it's not
    > entirely unreasonable to expect something along those lines.
    >
    > Let me see - there's the $600m EU fine; in Japan, Microsoft were accused
    > of
    > making companies such as NEC, Hitachi and Sony, who wanted to pre-install
    > its Windows software on their computers, sign away their right to sue,
    > even
    > if they found Microsoft has used their patent technology; $1.6bn spent
    > settling class actions in the US in 2003; $750m settlement in the AOL
    > case,
    > etc. Microsoft clearly believes that it has the financial muscle to
    > distort
    > standard market practice and to buy its way out of a lawsuit. Enron and
    > WorldCom also showed us that the US leads the way in honest
    > trading...........(end of rant).
    >
    > Guess I'll stick to Linux and OpenOffice ;-) Thanks for all replies.

    "me" <NOSPAMsigma@speed-mail.co.uk> wrote in message
    > It originally came up in a discussion about who had XP. It transpired
    > that
    > I was the only one who had actually bought it as opposed to having a
    > 'pirate' copy. The lecturer suggested acquiring oem status as a means of
    > getting XP provided free - although it would obviously have to remain with
    > the system built to accommodate it. As he had several years experience in
    > the electronics industry, we had no major reason to doubt him at the time.

    I wonder what his "experience" in the electronics industry was. I'm not in
    that business and even I know that MS does not give away copies of their
    software free yo system builders. This lecturer is blowing a lot of smoke
    up-your-you-know-what. Sounds to me like he's had very little experience in
    the "real world" of business to make such a statement.

    > As for Wesley's comments: "Do you really think that an American business
    > gives software away for free to people that in turn sell it to the general
    > public? I hope that your major isn't Business." I hope your major isn't
    > sarcasm, Wes. Ever heard of drug dealers giving it away to get people
    > hooked? Given Microsoft's history of anti-competitive behaviour, it's not
    > entirely unreasonable to expect something along those lines.
    >
    > Let me see - there's the $600m EU fine; in Japan, Microsoft were accused
    > of
    > making companies such as NEC, Hitachi and Sony, who wanted to pre-install
    > its Windows software on their computers, sign away their right to sue,
    > even
    > if they found Microsoft has used their patent technology; $1.6bn spent
    > settling class actions in the US in 2003; $750m settlement in the AOL
    > case,
    > etc. Microsoft clearly believes that it has the financial muscle to
    > distort
    > standard market practice and to buy its way out of a lawsuit. Enron and
    > WorldCom also showed us that the US leads the way in honest
    > trading...........(end of rant).
    >
    > Guess I'll stick to Linux and OpenOffice ;-) Thanks for all replies.

    I don't equate MS with a drug dealer trying to get me hooked on their
    software. When I look at the value I get for my $ 189.00 copy of XP Pro,
    it's not expensive. The OS is the software foundation of your system. When
    users pay hundreds more for office suites, graphics programs, etc., the
    price of Windows is not all that high. We're all free to choose what OS and
    applications we want to run. For me Linux is not yet a viable option so
    I'll gladly pony up the cash for a copy of Windows.

    Also,
    Don't forget the gotcha of having to buy at least a 3 pack of the
    operating system from a MS Certified Supplier to get the OPK Tools disk
    to preinstall the OS. Myself, I've always felt that if your a registered
    oem system builder, buy the software from a MS Certified Supplier, you
    should get the OPK disk for free.
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman