PC wont boot from floppy

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
build a pc out of old hardware. Trying to boot from a startup floppy so I can fdisk, but I can't get it to boot from any disk. The floppy will read for ~7 seconds but then will stop and the PC will try to boot from the next device. there is no option to turn boot from other device off or have it boot from only floppy. I have tried 2 different drives, including one I know works fine. I will try a different cable see if that works.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Does the light come on, then go out?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you sure the floppy disk is in perfect condition? These things have an extraordinarily high failure rate as they age, and haven't been produced in a long time.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, I no longer boot off floppies, I've used the Win98 CD to boot up new systems for several years now.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
quick question...........you know those USB mem drives.... can you boot off of one of those bad boys?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
Lite-On 52X
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GeForce 4 Ti4200 w/vivo 128mb 8x
Hitachi CML174
1 GB Corsair XMS PC3200 Cas2

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know Asus supports it, my P4C800-E can. But figuring out how to make a USB device bootable...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HAH, I just made an old 16MB flash card (non-bootable) on my flash card device (non-bootable)...BOOTABLE AS A Win98SE FLOPPY WITH 16MB OF SPACE! w00t!

w00t w00t!

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
how did you do that? This mobo is old -> p2 bx6 chipset. has usb ports tho..

I have tried 2 different floppys that I know work. I tried booting off the CD drive but i think both drives I have tried are old and broken.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
you can't boot off USB because your BIOS doesn't support it.