XP Pro won't stay activated.

A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be rebuilt. By the
time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I installed her OEM copy
of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The activation went smoothly and
was accepted. But now, every time she reboots, it wants her to activate
again! Any ideas to make the activation "stick!"
16 answers Last reply
More about stay activated

    What hardware was changed during the rebuild? Her OEM XP
    Pro may be looking for some data which is not there anymore,
    such as a BIOS or hidden partition.
    You may get a better answer if you'll state what make and
    model of computer and what parts where changed, including
    make and models of mobo and such.

    some support

    "MJC" <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    |A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be
    rebuilt. By the
    | time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I
    installed her OEM copy
    | of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The activation
    went smoothly and
    | was accepted. But now, every time she reboots, it wants
    her to activate
    | again! Any ideas to make the activation "stick!"

    Her motherboard, hard drives and monitor were replaced. The OEM XP Pro
    install disk is not bios locked to a specific company's hardware and it's a
    2 cpu license version. There is nothing on the install CD limiting it to
    Dell, Gateway, or ANY other brand. This is not a restore situation with a
    hidden partition on a drive. The IDE drives were damaged by the lightning.
    The new drives are SATA. The activation is accepted, but the next time she
    reboots the machine it requires reactivation. I installed it onto the
    machine as it was originally without any problems. The activation held for 2
    days before it started this behavior.

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > What hardware was changed during the rebuild? Her OEM XP
    > Pro may be looking for some data which is not there anymore,
    > such as a BIOS or hidden partition.
    > You may get a better answer if you'll state what make and
    > model of computer and what parts where changed, including
    > make and models of mobo and such.

    TO THE OP: WARNING! DO NOT SAY YOU CHANGED THE MOTHERBOARD, BECAUSE
    SOME LUNATICS IN THIS GROUP THINK THAT CHANGING THE MOTHERBOARD MAKE THE
    COMPUTER AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COMPUTER, AND THEY WILL JUMP ALL OVER YOU
    THAT YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW COPY OF XP.

    To Jim: It doesn't matter what actually hardware has been changed
    activation is caught into a loop, and that is cause by either not all
    the components of PA not being registered correctly, or the wpa.dbl file
    is being corrupted. Don't get the "new motherboard makes a totally new
    computer" for OEM licenses started with their nonsense. MS can't agree
    when a computer becomes a new computer! If they could, then they'd
    write in their OEM EULA, and WE ALL KNOW that the OEM END USER LICENSE
    AGREEMENT is totally silent when it comes to when it comes to when a
    computer is upgraded to the point that it becomes a totally different
    computer! The only ones that can't understand that are those that are
    totally f*$kin' insane.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    The 2 cpus license means you can run it on a dual processor motherboard!
    This is not a license to allow you to install it on two separate computers!

    > Her motherboard, hard drives and monitor were replaced. The OEM XP Pro
    > install disk is not bios locked to a specific company's hardware and it's
    > a 2 cpu license version. There is nothing on the install CD limiting it to
    > Dell, Gateway, or ANY other brand. This is not a restore situation with a
    > hidden partition on a drive. The IDE drives were damaged by the lightning.
    > The new drives are SATA. The activation is accepted, but the next time she
    > reboots the machine it requires reactivation. I installed it onto the
    > machine as it was originally without any problems. The activation held for
    > 2 days before it started this behavior.
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >> What hardware was changed during the rebuild? Her OEM XP
    >> Pro may be looking for some data which is not there anymore,
    >> such as a BIOS or hidden partition.
    >> You may get a better answer if you'll state what make and
    >> model of computer and what parts where changed, including
    >> make and models of mobo and such.
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "MJC" <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> |A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be
    >> rebuilt. By the
    >> | time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I
    >> installed her OEM copy
    >> | of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The activation
    >> went smoothly and
    >> | was accepted. But now, every time she reboots, it wants
    >> her to activate
    >> | again! Any ideas to make the activation "stick!"

    It's not on 2 computers! Her computer was damaged by a lightning strike. The
    hard drives had to be replaced and the motherboard was damaged and had to be
    replaced! The power supply was destroyed so it all had to go into a new
    tower. Microsoft has no problem with activating the XP installation after
    replacing the motherboard and the drives. I activated after the install and
    it reported "successful." This morning, the activation wizard decided she
    needed to reactive. The first time, she used the online activation. The next
    reboot, it needed it again. She reactivated again on the phone with them.
    The problem is the installation will not stay activated! Every time she
    reboots, she has to activate again! Each time, the activation reports as
    "successful." It doesn't matter whether she calls them or activates online.
    It won't keep the activation.

    MJC wrote:
    > It's not on 2 computers! Her computer was damaged by a lightning
    > strike. The hard drives had to be replaced and the motherboard was
    > damaged and had to be replaced! The power supply was destroyed so it
    > all had to go into a new tower. Microsoft has no problem with
    > activating the XP installation after replacing the motherboard and
    > the drives. I activated after the install and it reported
    > "successful." This morning, the activation wizard decided she needed
    > to reactive. The first time, she used the online activation. The next
    > reboot, it needed it again. She reactivated again on the phone with
    > them. The problem is the installation will not stay activated! Every
    > time she reboots, she has to activate again! Each time, the
    > activation reports as "successful." It doesn't matter whether she
    > calls them or activates online. It won't keep the activation.

    You brought it on yourself for saying it was a 2 CPU version of XP.
    That raises the hair on the back of the neck of the piracy dweebs.

    This group as a few jerks that have nothing better to do than jump on
    people for the slightest inkling when they suspect piracy. It is the
    Gestapo effect. Getting the neighbors to inform on the neighbors sort
    of thing.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "MJC" <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be rebuilt. By the
    >time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I installed her OEM copy
    >of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The activation went smoothly and
    >was accepted. But now, every time she reboots, it wants her to activate
    >again! Any ideas to make the activation "stick!"

    Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by
    activation.

    Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
    regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

    Then do it again with the following text:
    regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell wrote:
    > "MJC" <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >> A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be rebuilt.
    >> By the time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I
    >> installed her OEM copy of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The
    >> activation went smoothly and was accepted. But now, every time she
    >> reboots, it wants her to activate again! Any ideas to make the
    >> activation "stick!"
    >>

    > Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by
    > activation.
    >
    > Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
    > regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    >
    > Then do it again with the following text:
    > regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada

    And if that doesn't work, then try to do a checkdisk of your Windows XP
    partition.

    Start > Run > type "chkdsk C: /r" [without the quotes]* > OK > type "y"
    [without the quotes" When you see this message: "The type of the file
    system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run because
    the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule
    this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)" >
    then hit the enter button, and reboot the computer.

    * - ["chkdsk C: /r" Where "C" is the location of your Windows Partition.
    If your Windows Partition is located on Drive F, the what you should
    type in the Run dialogue box is "chkdsk F: /r" (without the quotes)]

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    She tried repairing the registry entries without success. She still has to
    reactivate every time she reboots.

    kurttrail wrote:
    > Ron Martell wrote:
    >> "MJC" <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be rebuilt.
    >>> By the time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I
    >>> installed her OEM copy of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The
    >>> activation went smoothly and was accepted. But now, every time she
    >>> reboots, it wants her to activate again! Any ideas to make the
    >>> activation "stick!"
    >>>

    >> Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by
    >> activation.
    >>
    >> Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
    >> regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    >>
    >> Then do it again with the following text:
    >> regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>

    >> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    >
    > And if that doesn't work, then try to do a checkdisk of your Windows
    > XP partition.
    >
    > Start > Run > type "chkdsk C: /r" [without the quotes]* > OK > type
    > "y" [without the quotes" When you see this message: "The type of the
    > file system is NTFS. Cannot lock current drive. Chkdsk cannot run
    > because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to
    > schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?
    > (Y/N)" > then hit the enter button, and reboot the computer.
    >
    > * - ["chkdsk C: /r" Where "C" is the location of your Windows
    > Partition. If your Windows Partition is located on Drive F, the what
    > you should type in the Run dialogue box is "chkdsk F: /r" (without
    > the quotes)]

    Actually before you run the Check Disk, save the wpa.dbl & the wpa.bak
    files to another folder, then delete them, and reboot. See if that
    stops the problem, if not then run the check disk.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    My question was just to get some more info about the
    problem. Most likely he needs to do a repair install and
    then reactivate again. If there are not too many files of
    personally data, I'd consider doing a clean install.

    some support

    "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org>
    wrote in message
    | Jim Macklin wrote:
    | > What hardware was changed during the rebuild? Her OEM
    XP
    | > Pro may be looking for some data which is not there
    anymore,
    | > such as a BIOS or hidden partition.
    | > You may get a better answer if you'll state what make
    and
    | > model of computer and what parts where changed,
    including
    | > make and models of mobo and such.
    |
    | TO THE OP: WARNING! DO NOT SAY YOU CHANGED THE
    MOTHERBOARD, BECAUSE
    | SOME LUNATICS IN THIS GROUP THINK THAT CHANGING THE
    MOTHERBOARD MAKE THE
    | COMPUTER AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COMPUTER, AND THEY WILL
    JUMP ALL OVER YOU
    | THAT YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW COPY OF XP.
    |

    | To Jim: It doesn't matter what actually hardware has been
    changed
    | activation is caught into a loop, and that is cause by
    either not all
    | the components of PA not being registered correctly, or
    the wpa.dbl file
    | is being corrupted. Don't get the "new motherboard makes
    a totally new
    | computer" for OEM licenses started with their nonsense.
    MS can't agree
    | when a computer becomes a new computer! If they could,
    then they'd
    | write in their OEM EULA, and WE ALL KNOW that the OEM END
    USER LICENSE
    | AGREEMENT is totally silent when it comes to when it comes
    to when a
    | computer is upgraded to the point that it becomes a
    totally different
    | computer! The only ones that can't understand that are
    those that are
    | totally f*$kin' insane.
    |
    | --
    | Peace!
    | Kurt
    | Self-anointed Moderator
    | microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    | http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    | "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an
    Oxymoron!

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > My question was just to get some more info about the
    > problem. Most likely he needs to do a repair install and
    > then reactivate again. If there are not too many files of
    > personally data, I'd consider doing a clean install.
    >

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org>
    > wrote in message
    >> Jim Macklin wrote:
    >>> What hardware was changed during the rebuild? Her OEM XP
    >>> Pro may be looking for some data which is not there anymore,
    >>> such as a BIOS or hidden partition.
    >>> You may get a better answer if you'll state what make and
    >>> model of computer and what parts where changed, including
    >>> make and models of mobo and such.
    >>
    >> TO THE OP: WARNING! DO NOT SAY YOU CHANGED THE MOTHERBOARD, BECAUSE
    >> SOME LUNATICS IN THIS GROUP THINK THAT CHANGING THE MOTHERBOARD MAKE
    >> THE COMPUTER AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COMPUTER, AND THEY WILL JUMP ALL
    >> OVER YOU THAT YOU NEED TO BUY A NEW COPY OF XP.
    >>

    >> To Jim: It doesn't matter what actually hardware has been changed
    >> activation is caught into a loop, and that is cause by either not all
    >> the components of PA not being registered correctly, or the wpa.dbl
    >> file is being corrupted. Don't get the "new motherboard makes a
    >> totally new computer" for OEM licenses started with their nonsense.
    >> MS can't agree when a computer becomes a new computer! If they
    >> could, then they'd write in their OEM EULA, and WE ALL KNOW that the
    >> OEM END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT is totally silent when it comes to
    >> when it comes to when a computer is upgraded to the point that it
    >> becomes a totally different computer! The only ones that can't
    >> understand that are those that are totally f*$kin' insane.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Peace!
    >> Kurt
    >> Self-anointed Moderator
    >> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    >> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    >> "Trustworthy Computing" is only another example of an Oxymoron!
    >> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    "The IDE drives were damaged by the lightning.
    The new drives are SATA."

    I sounds like it was a clean install.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    But as was said by someone on the thread (you?), the file is
    corrupt and another clean install might be an "easy fix."

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > But as was said by someone on the thread (you?), the file is
    > corrupt and another clean install might be an "easy fix."

    LOL! A clean install would be an option, AFTER failing to fix the
    problem by deleting the wpa file and the scandisk, though I'd do a
    memory test, and try a repair install first.

    --

    In news:OJZBKkpcFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    MJC <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
    > A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be rebuilt. By
    > the time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I installed
    > her OEM copy of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The activation
    > went smoothly and was accepted. But now, every time she reboots, it
    > wants her to activate again! Any ideas to make the activation "stick!"

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    Move XP to new hardware.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com

    Deleting the 2 wpa files then activating again worked. The wizard came up
    with the needed activation numbers displayed. Then I called the phone
    number, informed the person on the phone of the hardware changes (& why) and
    was given a different number to type into the wizard. The XP installation is
    staying activated now!

    Thanks for the assistance.

    "Michael Stevens" <mstevens@bogusmvps.org> wrote in message
    > In news:OJZBKkpcFHA.892@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > MJC <mjc_1959@hotmail.com> replied with a ;-)
    >> A friend's computer was hit by lightning and needed to be rebuilt. By
    >> the time that was done, it was virtually a new machine. I installed
    >> her OEM copy of XP Pro with SP2 slipstreamed into it. The activation
    >> went smoothly and was accepted. But now, every time she reboots, it
    >> wants her to activate again! Any ideas to make the activation "stick!"
    >
    > Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    > if using the web based newsgroup.
    > Move XP to new hardware.
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html
    > --
    > Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    > xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com
    > For a better newsgroup experience. Setup a newsreader.
    > http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/outlookexpressnewreader.htm

Computers Microsoft Windows XP