Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Hard disk error - used chkdsk cmd .. but still sustain

Last response: in Windows 7
August 13, 2012 12:56:17 PM

i encounter many error in my computer so i tried to run a dos command to check and automatically fix errors ... but i couldn't .. it displays an message like "Access dined as you don't have sufficient privileges . & you have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode " what it mean .. what shall i do to resolve my hard disk errors... please somebody help....

Thanking you....

Best solution

August 13, 2012 1:29:25 PM

If you are using Windows Vista/7, you must run the command prompt as an administrator or in an "elevated mode". The easiest way to do this is to go to your start menu > in the search bar type "cmd" > right-click the cmd icon > select "run as administrator" > if you have user account control (UAC) set up it may prompt you to accept that action > if you are not checking your default partition (assuming C:)  then us the "cd <insert drive letter>" command to switch to the proper partition > then type in "chkdsk /f /r".

If the errors are on your windows partition, it will ask you to restart the computer as it will not check a mounted partion (a partition that is being used by the Windows operating system). It can take anywhere from minutes to hours to complete depending on the errors that it finds and the size of the hard drive.
August 14, 2012 12:20:26 PM

Best answer selected by fleurhema.
Score
Related resources
August 14, 2012 12:21:55 PM

Thank You.....
Score
a c 395 $ Windows 7
August 14, 2012 1:57:53 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
August 14, 2012 1:57:59 PM