What DLL's can I register/unregister to fix them

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Using the followowing:

How To Register .dlls In XP and un-register DLLs in Windows XP Pro
Only com/ole/activeX dlls can be registered.

regsvr32 filename

regsvr32 /u filename

regsvr32 /i filename (for self installing dlls - this includes a
register)

regsvr32 /i /u filename (Uninstall)

regsvr32 /? for help

Question is this:

Is there a list of ALL the dll's ,etc that I can use these coammds
with?

thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about what register unregister them
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:18:56 -0400, David Sherman wrote:

    > Using the followowing:
    >
    > How To Register .dlls In XP and un-register DLLs in Windows XP Pro
    > Only com/ole/activeX dlls can be registered.
    >
    > regsvr32 filename
    >
    > regsvr32 /u filename
    >
    > regsvr32 /i filename (for self installing dlls - this includes a
    > register)
    >
    > regsvr32 /i /u filename (Uninstall)
    >
    > regsvr32 /? for help
    >
    > Question is this:
    >
    > Is there a list of ALL the dll's ,etc that I can use these coammds
    > with?
    >
    > thanks

    Any one setup has thousands of dll files that fall into these categories.
    And the list can vary greatly from one system to the next. Usually
    registering dll files only comes up if something is broken. If a particular
    problem is known to be related to a particular dll file, you'll see advice
    to re-register it.

    Programs will register any dll files they need as part of their
    installation process. This is one of the reasons reinstalling a "broken"
    program sorts things right again.

    If you try to register a dll that does not fall into any of the mentioned
    categories, you'll get a "failed" message. No damage done.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Things like the below:

    Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by
    activation.

    Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
    regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll

    Then do it again with the following text:
    regsvr32.exe licdll.dll

    I have seen some with deactivate and re-activate Windows Firewall. Etc


    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:51:56 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    wrote:

    >On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:18:56 -0400, David Sherman wrote:
    >
    >> Using the followowing:
    >>
    >> How To Register .dlls In XP and un-register DLLs in Windows XP Pro
    >> Only com/ole/activeX dlls can be registered.
    >>
    >> regsvr32 filename
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /u filename
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i filename (for self installing dlls - this includes a
    >> register)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /i /u filename (Uninstall)
    >>
    >> regsvr32 /? for help
    >>
    >> Question is this:
    >>
    >> Is there a list of ALL the dll's ,etc that I can use these coammds
    >> with?
    >>
    >> thanks
    >
    >Any one setup has thousands of dll files that fall into these categories.
    >And the list can vary greatly from one system to the next. Usually
    >registering dll files only comes up if something is broken. If a particular
    >problem is known to be related to a particular dll file, you'll see advice
    >to re-register it.
    >
    >Programs will register any dll files they need as part of their
    >installation process. This is one of the reasons reinstalling a "broken"
    >program sorts things right again.
    >
    >If you try to register a dll that does not fall into any of the mentioned
    >categories, you'll get a "failed" message. No damage done.
    >
    >--
    >Sharon F
    >MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    David Sherman wrote:

    > Things like the below:
    >
    > Try repairing the registry entries for the .DLL files used by
    > activation.
    >
    > Use Start- Run and enter the following text in the dialog box:
    > regsvr32.exe regwizc.dll
    >
    > Then do it again with the following text:
    > regsvr32.exe licdll.dll
    >
    > I have seen some with deactivate and re-activate Windows Firewall. Etc
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 13:51:56 -0500, Sharon F <sharonfDEL@ETEmvps.org>
    > wrote:
    >
    >
    >>On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:18:56 -0400, David Sherman wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Using the followowing:
    >>>
    >>>How To Register .dlls In XP and un-register DLLs in Windows XP Pro
    >>>Only com/ole/activeX dlls can be registered.
    >>>
    >>>regsvr32 filename
    >>>
    >>>regsvr32 /u filename
    >>>
    >>>regsvr32 /i filename (for self installing dlls - this includes a
    >>>register)
    >>>
    >>>regsvr32 /i /u filename (Uninstall)
    >>>
    >>>regsvr32 /? for help
    >>>
    >>>Question is this:
    >>>
    >>>Is there a list of ALL the dll's ,etc that I can use these coammds
    >>>with?
    >>>
    >>>thanks
    >>
    >>Any one setup has thousands of dll files that fall into these categories.
    >>And the list can vary greatly from one system to the next. Usually
    >>registering dll files only comes up if something is broken. If a particular
    >>problem is known to be related to a particular dll file, you'll see advice
    >>to re-register it.
    >>
    >>Programs will register any dll files they need as part of their
    >>installation process. This is one of the reasons reinstalling a "broken"
    >>program sorts things right again.
    >>
    >>If you try to register a dll that does not fall into any of the mentioned
    >>categories, you'll get a "failed" message. No damage done.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Sharon F
    >>MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    I don't believe there is any such list.


    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP DLL Filename