Graffiti 1 on Tungsten - PALM IS MOST OBNOXIOUS COMPANY I'..

August 18, 2004 3:05:54 PM

Hi,

I know there have been a few threads on getting Graffiti 1 to work on
Tungsten T2. The source article is

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830 .

Following that, I was able to find Graffiti Library.prc and Graffiti
Library_enUS.prc on the web. They are sitting on my hard disk.

However, I do not understand Step 2 of that article: "Beam or copy the
above 2 files to the target handheld". How exactly is this done?

Perhaps TealScript is a better way?

By the way, I do not think, in more than 20 years of working in IT,
that I have ever encountered a company more obnoxious and more just
plain evil than Palm. Millions of users waste millions of hours of
time because of their idiotic "forced upgrade" from graffiti one to
graffiti two.

I realize that they "claim" they did it for legal reasons, which is
doubtful, since:

A. There is now no legal reason (if there ever was) not to support
graffiti one, and they still do not.

B. They do not give the users the option of purchasing or licensing
graffiti 1.

C. They denied they did it for legal reasons, they claim graffiti 2
was superior to graffiti 1.

Obviously Palm was a great company at one time, and the lies that
their PR promulgates ("oh, graffiti 2 is more advanced and better" -
ever heard them say that) is absolutely sickening.

What's most frustrating here is the impotence of the users. Many
companies feel a kind of loyalty to existing users, or at least
indifference to them. Palm on the other hand just went out of their
way to betray their users.

In any case, I sincerely hope Palm dies a grisly death and I would
never advise a new user to use a Palm. People complain about Microsoft
but Microsoft has never done anything remotely as rude as the graffiti
one non-support.
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 7:14:40 PM

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 20:38:11 GMT, Logan Shaw
<lshaw-usenet@austin.rr.com> pecked out:

>Eric Mantner wrote:
>> I know there have been a few threads on getting Graffiti 1 to work on
>> Tungsten T2. The source article is
>>
>> http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5830 .

Thank you!!!!

>Having said all that, now that the legal issues are resolved (IF they
>are truly resolved -- I'm not a lawyer, so I can't say I fully
>understand), I think they should bring back original Graffiti as
>an option. If they give you the choice of Graffiti 1 or 2 on
>the device, then they won't undermine their public stance that
>Graffiti 2 is better, so everybody wins. There's just one problem,
>which is that Palm is putting all its OS resources into making OS 6
>work. I wouldn't be shocked if OS 6 comes with some kind of Graffiti
>1 or 2 switch, although that's pure speculation. But the point is,
>they are so focused on the new thing that I doubt it even occurred
>to them go back and fix the old stuff.

I just bought a Tungsten E to upgrade from my Palm III. I was shocked
and suprised to find that Grafitti had changed. It is cumbersome and
awful to use!! I used to be able to write roughly 30 WPM with
Grafitti, now, i'm constantly back spacing to replace.

First thing I did after registering my product was to ask where the
old grafitti went.

I then asked about where the Linux palm desktop was. (Yes, I know that
there exists KPilot, but I want them to say it.)
Anonymous
August 18, 2004 10:52:50 PM

In article <fbc1a713.0408181005.4958dde4@posting.google.com>,
Eric Mantner <fsgtae@ureach.com> wrote:
>However, I do not understand Step 2 of that article: "Beam or copy the
>above 2 files to the target handheld". How exactly is this done?

One way would be to first get the two files onto an SD (memory) card.
Make the card visible in Microsoft Windows as a drive letter, then use
Windows Explorer drag and drop. Then, on your PDA, move the two files
from the SD card to the PDA's internal memory. I don't know how to do
this on a Palm PDA. On a Sony PDA, there is a utility program called
MSGate that can do the move.

>By the way, I do not think, in more than 20 years of working in IT,
>that I have ever encountered a company more obnoxious and more just
>plain evil than Palm. Millions of users waste millions of hours of
>time because of their idiotic "forced upgrade" from graffiti one to
>graffiti two.

The issue was forced by a lawsuit from Xerox, who claimed rights to
Graffiti. You can easily document this by doing a Google search; it
is not a myth.

I do wish that Palm would return to supporting Graffiti 1, now that
they have finally defeated Xerox in court.
--
David Arnstein
arnstein+usenet@pobox.com

>However, I do not understand Step 2 of that article: "Beam or copy the
above 2 files to the target handheld". How exactly is this done?

The above means you can't use the standard install tools. So, eater find
someone with a older palm and get them to "beam" the two files to your t2.

(beaming does not go through the desktop install system..which you want to
avoid).

You can also copy the files to a sd ram card (assuming you have a sd card
reader). You then copy the files that card to your palm (this is what I
did...and I kept the two files on the sd card in the event I need to do this
again). I used the free "filez" utility to do this.

As mentioned, if you don't have a sd card (and a card reader), then you need
to "beam" the files from a palm with g1 already. You could also find a
friend with a sd card and borrow it also. In all these cases, you generally
need some utility that can view..and beam files from the palm...(filez is
again can be used here in both of the above examples).

--
Albert D. Kallal
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

In message <pyOUc.140991$J06.15746@pd7tw2no> "Albert D. Kallal"
<PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> wrote:

>As mentioned, if you don't have a sd card (and a card reader), then you need
>to "beam" the files from a palm with g1 already. You could also find a
>friend with a sd card and borrow it also. In all these cases, you generally
>need some utility that can view..and beam files from the palm...(filez is
>again can be used here in both of the above examples).

You don't need a card reader do you? I was under the impression you can
"install" the files to the card, then copy them over.

--
Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.

DevilsPGD wrote:

> In message <pyOUc.140991$J06.15746@pd7tw2no> "Albert D. Kallal"
> <PleaseNOOOsPAMMkallal@msn.com> wrote:
>

>>As mentioned, if you don't have a sd card (and a card reader), then you need
>>to "beam" the files from a palm with g1 already. You could also find a
>>friend with a sd card and borrow it also. In all these cases, you generally
>>need some utility that can view..and beam files from the palm...(filez is
>>again can be used here in both of the above examples).
>

> You don't need a card reader do you? I was under the impression you can
> "install" the files to the card, then copy them over.

or you could simply use PFB to mount your palm as a sort of usb storage
device

http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 3:46:33 AM

On 18-Aug-2004, fsgtae@ureach.com (Eric Mantner) Flushed this thought from his
brain to the screen::

> However, I do not understand Step 2 of that article: "Beam or copy the
> above 2 files to the target handheld". How exactly is this done?

> By the way, I do not think, in more than 20 years of working in IT,
> that I have ever encountered a company more obnoxious and more just
> plain evil than Palm. Millions of users waste millions of hours of
> time because of their idiotic "forced upgrade" from graffiti one to
> graffiti two.

Hmm, "20 years of working in IT" and you can't read the manual for your Palm?

> What's most frustrating here is the impotence of the users.

Biting my tongue...

WyreNut

--
A: Because it reverses the natural flow of conversation.
Q: Why is top-posting considered inappropriate?

In message <2oi0i3Fb73btU1@uni-berlin.de> Antoni Ten Monrós
<kuroshima@gempukku.com> wrote:

>or you could simply use PFB to mount your palm as a sort of usb storage
>device
>
>http://www.pmrogan.de/site/PalmSoft.htm

Yeah, but I was thinking/hoping it would be possible without any
additional software or hardware (although I guess you still need to copy
the files to the Palm from the card)

--
What's orange, brown, black, and red? Give up?
They're COLOURS, idiot!

In article <j1l7i09is99fprmd30r6i56c4enl6p7576@4ax.com>, abuse@127.0.0.1 wrote:

> I just bought a Tungsten E to upgrade from my Palm III. I was shocked
> and suprised to find that Grafitti had changed.

The change was widely publicized and discussed long before the T|E was
released. It's also in the product literature.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:07:03 AM

Guy Bannis scratched out in the sand

> In article <j1l7i09is99fprmd30r6i56c4enl6p7576@4ax.com>, abuse@127.0.0.1
> wrote:
>
>> I just bought a Tungsten E to upgrade from my Palm III. I was shocked
>> and suprised to find that Grafitti had changed.
>
> The change was widely publicized and discussed long before the T|E was
> released. It's also in the product literature.

To be honest, I hadn't actually paid any attention to the handheld market. I
had (have) my Palm III and it worked fine until a few weeks ago. It died. I
looked up the latest middle-end palms and got the Tungsten E. Wasn't aware
of G2 being around.

Oh, and I mentioned in another post today, here's the last (and only) time I
asked for support with a Palm: http://tinyurl.com/5prqd

--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.perfectreign.com || www.gamephreakz.com
g3prod at cotse.net
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 9:17:53 AM

Eric Mantner scratched out in the sand

> Hi,
>
> I know there have been a few threads on getting Graffiti 1 to work on
> Tungsten T2. The source article is

By the way, here's what palm wrote me after I asked them about Grafitti
support. If anybody wants to decipher it, go ahead...

<P>
<BLOCKQUOTE>
<P class=MsoSalutation style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><FONT =3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Dear Kai:<?xml:namespace prefix
= o ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:o ffice:o ffice" /><o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Thank you for contacting palmOne™ Technical
Support.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>My name is Sundari
and I will be assisting you with regard to palm desktop software for Linux
and the graffiti area not responding properly for the strokes.<SPAN
style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Kai, please click on the web link to select the
compatible version for your Linux. <SPAN style="mso-spacerun:
yes"> </SPAN><o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><A
href="http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGIBIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=3,E=...(26787"><FONT
="Times New Roman"
=3>http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGIBIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=3,E=...(26787</FONT></A><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">)<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">OR<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><A
href="http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGIBIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=3,E=...(6503"><FONT
="Times New Roman"
=3>http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGIBIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=3,E=...(6503</FONT></A><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">)<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Kai, please be informed that the graffiti area
cannot be changed to the lower version but it can be upgraded.<SPAN
style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN><o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT =3><FONT ="Times New
Roman">If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact
us again.<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>A Customer
Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly.<SPAN
style="mso-spacerun: yes">  </SPAN>Please take time to provide us with
your feedback about this support experience as it will help us in our
on-going effort to continually improve our
services.<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New
Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT =3><FONT ="Times New
Roman">You can also find troubleshooting articles and frequently asked
questions at:<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyTextIndent style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyTextIndent style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center"
align=center><A href="http://kb.palmone.com/"><FONT ="Times New Roman"
=3>http://kb.palmone.com&lt;/FONT></A><o:p ></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">To learn more about palmOne handhelds, please
visit the palmOne support web site at:<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: center"
align=center><A href="http://www.palmone.com/us/support/"><FONT ="Times New
Roman" =3>http://www.palmone.com/us/support/&lt;/FONT></A><o:p ></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Thank you for choosing
palmOne.<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Sincerely,<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">Sundari,<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">palmOne™ Technical
Support<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P class=MsoBodyText style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"><FONT
=3><FONT ="Times New Roman">While every effort has been made to ensure the
advice or information provided to you by our <?xml:namespace prefix = st1
ns =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:o ffice:smarttags" /><st1:p lace><st1:p laceName>Customer</st1:p laceName>
<st1:p laceName>Support</st1:p laceName>
<st1:p laceType>Center</st1:p laceType></st1:p lace> is correct at the time of
transmission, palmOne does not accept any responsibility for errors or
omissions. Any advice or information provided by palmOne to you via any
form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem;
it is only offered as assistance to you. You are advised to back up all
data stored on your product on a regular basis and always before changing
software configuration or, when possible, before sending the product for
repair.  palmOne will not be held responsible for any loss, damage,
faults, loss of data or other reactions suffered as a result of advice or
information supplied. No written advice or information sent to you by
palmOne may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the
public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board)
without palmOne's prior written consent.<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<P>
<P>--- Original Message --- </P>
<P><product>Tungsten E</product>
Desktop OS:
General
Issue: Palm Desktop
Software
<fname>Kai</fname>
<lname>P</lname>
<email>esite.org</email>
Email
Confirm:
<phone>917-5225</phone>
Time Zone: PST
Palm
OS: Palm OS® software v5.0
Palm Desktop: Other
Processor:
Other
Desktop RAM: 512MB or greater
Handheld Connection:
USB
Successful HotSync: no
Changes Since Last HotSync: Looking for
software downloads
3rd Party Applications: None
Detailed Description:
I am looking for the software to install into my system. I only find
Windows and Macintosh software. Where is the Linux (SuSE) software?

Also: Why do I have to use Grafitti 2? I would prefer Grafitti -
the method for writing the T, L, and K are complex and were easier with
Grafitti.
<daterec>08/18/2004
07:20</daterec>
</P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></span>

g3prod at cotse.net
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 6:30:19 PM

Here is your translation:

Dear Kai:

Thank you for contacting palmOne™ Technical Support. My name is
Sundari and I will be assisting you with regard to palm desktop
software for Linux and the graffiti area not responding properly for
the strokes.

Kai, please click on the web link to select the compatible version for
your Linux.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGIBIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=3,E=...(26787)

OR

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGIBIN/WEBCGI.EXE/,/?St=3,E=...(6503)

Kai, please be informed that the graffiti area cannot be changed to
the lower version but it can be upgraded.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact
us again. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very
shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this

http://kb.palmone.com

To learn more about palmOne handhelds, please visit the palmOne
support web site at:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/

Thank you for choosing palmOne.

Sincerely,

Sundari,

palmOne™ Technical Support

While every effort has been made to ensure the advice or information
provided to you by our Customer Support Center is correct at the time

filesiteguy <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<10i96j6ruipi68d@corp.supernews.com>...
> [...]
> form of communication is not a guarantee that it will correct your problem;
> it is only offered as assistance to you. You are advised to back up all
> data stored on your product on a regular basis and always before changing
> software configuration or, when possible, before sending the product for
> repair.  palmOne will not be held responsible for any loss, damage,
> faults, loss of data or other reactions suffered as a result of advice or
> information supplied. No written advice or information sent to you by
> palmOne may be resent, distributed or posted on any media accessible to the
> public (including, but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board)
> without palmOne's prior written consent.<o:p ></o:p ></FONT></FONT></P>
> <P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; TEXT-ALIGN:
> justify"><o:p ><FONT ="Times New Roman" =3> </FONT></o:p ></P>
<fname>Kai</fname>
<lname>P</lname>
<email>esite.org</email>
Email
> Confirm:
<phone>917-5225</phone>
Time Zone: PST
Palm
> OS: Palm OS® software v5.0
Palm Desktop: Other
Processor:
> Other
Desktop RAM: 512MB or greater
Handheld Connection:
> USB
Successful HotSync: no
Changes Since Last HotSync: Looking for
> software downloads
3rd Party Applications: None
Detailed Description:
> I am looking for the software to install into my system. I only find
> Windows and Macintosh software. Where is the Linux (SuSE) software?

Also: Why do I have to use Grafitti 2? I would prefer Grafitti -
> the method for writing the T, L, and K are complex and were easier with
> Grafitti.
<daterec>08/18/2004
> 07:20</daterec>
</P></P></BLOCKQUOTE></span>
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:30:57 PM

In article news:<T6PUc.2947$xi6.196@fe2.texas.rr.com>, Logan Shaw
wrote:
> Plus, legal issues aside, when you are trying to sell something to
> a customer, you want to be positive about things. You don't want to
> say, "Buy this thing with Graffiti 2. Sure, Graffiti 2 isn't nearly
> as good as original Graffiti, but we have legal issues with the
> original, so Graffiti 2 is as good as it gets." Instead, you want
> to at least play up the positive aspects of Graffiti 2.

<smile>

I suppose they could have said "Graffiti 2 has different strengths -
and as soon a we beat this bozo lawsuit we'll replace it with Graffiti
3 that has all the strengths".

I don't like the Graffiti 2 strokes (but some people do, and surely
there should be a choice) but being able to write anywhere on screen
is nice ...

Now where's that Graffiti 3?

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
August 19, 2004 7:33:24 PM

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:30:57 +0100, Daniel James
<wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

>I don't like the Graffiti 2 strokes (but some people do, and surely
>there should be a choice) but being able to write anywhere on screen
>is nice ...

So install Graffiti Anywhere (freeware) and write anywhere on the
screen with Graffiti 1 (or 2).
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"

I read the mess from Palm, Trimmed it all, and glean the following:

"No written advice or information sent to you by palmOne may be resent,
distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including,
but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without
palmOne’s prior written consent."

They don't want us to share information in addition to not being
responsible for any thing they say or do. Further comment on my part
would seem superfluous.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:19:47 AM

In article <P7bVc.7265$3O3.5713@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, George
Fragos <fragos@earthlink.net> wrote:

> I read the mess from Palm, Trimmed it all, and glean the following:
>
> "No written advice or information sent to you by palmOne may be resent,
> distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including,
> but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without
> palmOne’s prior written consent."
>
> They don't want us to share information in addition to not being
> responsible for any thing they say or do. Further comment on my part
> would seem superfluous.

Standard copyright notice. Time to get your knickers untied.
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 8:19:48 AM

Guy Bannis scratched out in the sand

> In article <P7bVc.7265$3O3.5713@newsread2.news.pas.eameantink.net>, George
> Fragos <fragos@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I read the mess from Palm, Trimmed it all, and glean the following:
>>
>> "No written advice or information sent to you by palmOne may be resent,
>> distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including,
>> but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without
>> palmOne’s prior written consent."
>>
>> They don't want us to share information in addition to not being
>> responsible for any thing they say or do. Further comment on my part
>> would seem superfluous.
>
> Standard copyright notice. Time to get your knickers untied.

Actually, everyone thanks for translating. I could read it, I just was
making the point that they ASSumed I would read an HTML-formatted email.
(Usually all HTML-formatted email either gets bounced or put right in the
circular file.)

As for the links, they both came back with 404 errors. I wrote them back and
asked what they meant.
--
kai
www.filesite.org || www.perfectreign.com
kai at 3gproductions dot com
Anonymous
August 20, 2004 6:55:13 PM

In article news:<11i9i0dqstv5lu250ah7n357bvapatr6qh@4ax.com>, Mike
Koenecke wrote:
> [I wrote]
> >I don't like the Graffiti 2 strokes (but some people do, and surely
> >there should be a choice) but being able to write anywhere on screen
> >is nice ...
>
> So install Graffiti Anywhere (freeware) and write anywhere on the
> screen with Graffiti 1 (or 2).

Oh, sure, I know about GA -- that's not the point. I know about
TealScript too, but I still complain about G2 replacing G1.

The fact that one *can* run 3rd-party stuff to achieve these ends
doesn't alter the fact that Palms would be better machines if all this
stuff came as standard.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:08:51 AM

Guy Bannis wrote:
> In article <P7bVc.7265$3O3.5713@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net>, George
> Fragos <fragos@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>I read the mess from Palm, Trimmed it all, and glean the following:
>>
>>"No written advice or information sent to you by palmOne may be resent,
>>distributed or posted on any media accessible to the public (including,
>>but not limited to, any Internet site or bulletin board) without
>>palmOne’s prior written consent."
>>
>>They don't want us to share information in addition to not being
>>responsible for any thing they say or do. Further comment on my part
>>would seem superfluous.
>

> Standard copyright notice. Time to get your knickers untied.

I didn't know someone was checking out my knickers. You assume to much
but it is interesting that most of us are technically "scofflaws".
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 9:35:46 AM

In message <VA.0000082c.0b391cf7@nospam.aaisp.org> Daniel James
<wastebasket@nospam.aaisp.org> wrote:

>I suppose they could have said "Graffiti 2 has different strengths -
>and as soon a we beat this bozo lawsuit we'll replace it with Graffiti
>3 that has all the strengths".
>
>I don't like the Graffiti 2 strokes (but some people do, and surely
>there should be a choice) but being able to write anywhere on screen
>is nice ...
>
>Now where's that Graffiti 3?

And if the lawsuit didn't go favourably?

--
Just sit through this NRA meeting Marge, and if you still
don't think guns are great then we'll argue some more.
Anonymous
August 21, 2004 4:54:20 PM

In article news:<SaBVc.332331$165.52406@news.easynews.com>, DevilsPGD
wrote:
> [I wrote]
> >I suppose they could have said "Graffiti 2 has different strengths -
> >and as soon a we beat this bozo lawsuit we'll replace it with Graffiti
> >3 that has all the strengths".
[snip]
> And if the lawsuit didn't go favourably?

Then Palm would have been free to decide whether to licenced the G1
strokes from Xerox (which, once the lawsuit was out of they way, could
have been done witout prejudicing anything) or not -- which would have
depended on how much Xerox were asking for a licence.

Seriously, though, one would have to be even more cynical than I am to
believe that Xerox could ever have won the lawsuit once it got to a higher
court. It was a crazy attempt to profit from a patent that should never
have been granted and whose scope was too narrow to encompass Graffiti
anyway; and (IMHO, IANAL) no sane (and uncorrupt) judge could conceivably
have upheld it.

Cheers,
Daniel.
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 2:58:26 AM

"filesiteguy" <abuse@127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> Eric Mantner scratched out in the sand
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I know there have been a few threads on getting Graffiti 1 to work on
>> Tungsten T2. The source article is
>
> By the way, here's what palm wrote me after I asked them about Grafitti
> support. If anybody wants to decipher it, go ahead...

Dear Kai:

Thank you for contacting palmOneT Technical Support. My name is Sundari
[...]

provided to you by our Customer Support Center is correct at the time of
[...]

August 22, 2004 1:51:33 PM

Just to add a though someone responded to one of my old posts with. I never
had a chance to thank them, but their suggestion to try TealScript was
awsome.

TealScript solved all my Graffiti 2 problems. The fine-tuning makes entering
text easier than Graffiti 1, and I've used G1 since the Palm 5000.

Good luck with your issues.
--
Dean J. Schanzel

!