Gaming/HDTV LCD Options?

deusdeus

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Good morning everyone,

First time on this forum, and I need some advice. Prior to two months ago, I had been using a 17-inch Dell CRT for about 4 years of gaming. Thing still works like a charm. Two months ago my cousin came down and bought a shuttle PC, with a Viewsonic VX924 19-inch LCD. Well, he hung out for a month, then had to go out of town for a couple of months.

Being as concerned as I was, I decided to take care of the monitor for him..you know, to make sure it didn't go bad or anything...Anyways, it is a fantastic monitor! Its large, the color is great, the response time is great as well. I play all kinds of games too, from Starcraft, CS:S to WoW.

Alas, he is returning tomorrow so I will be returning it to him. I don't think I'll be able to go back to my loyal 17-inch CRT anymore, so I need to get a new monitor.

Now, I'm kind of a cheapass when it comes to spending money. I currently have a regular old school TV set (non-HDTV), and sooner or later I need to step up to the standard. Since I'm abou to spend a few hundred bucks, I'd like to knock out both my dilemas in one shot, at least temporarilly (untill I feel like investing in a nice 52-inch TV).

So, what I'm trying to do is play alot of games, AND be able to watch HDTV on the same device. Will the VX924 allow me to do this? I am also looking at the Dell 2005FPW. As far as my system, and graphics, I have a Gainward Geforce 6800 REGULAR. Two other questions: Will that card be able to support the widescreen resolution of the Dell, and what else do I need to get in my PC to be able to watch HDTV, that is if these monitors can even display it. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone may have to offer, and a Happy New Year to all! Thanks in advance!

-AL

dpazza

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
AL,
If I were you id read the info on this forum and post any further questions if the info isn't already there.

http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/