Sign in with
Your question

I Want A Large LCD Gaming Monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
January 3, 2006 9:06:26 PM

But no one makes the one I want. It needs to be large, 36" or bigger. It needs to support a high, mainstream native resolution, UXGA at least. It needs to have decent response time, < 15 ms, and a good LCD picture quality. If someone made such a monitor, I would buy it, even if it cost a lot of money but, as far as I can tell, no one makes such a monitor at any price. Why? Am I so unusual that no one else on earth wants the same kind of monitor that I do? Is current technology incapable of making such a monitor? Why does no one make the monitor I want?
January 4, 2006 8:52:05 AM

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-26-3-37-lcd-video...

Keep in mind that an LCD like this isn’t the only cost you will need to worry about think of the GPU power you will need to run it for games and other components like an SLI capable motherboard but that screen would be the closest thing I can think of to your requirements.
January 4, 2006 12:29:35 PM

Have you cut the check for the 1800 bucks yet? ;) 
Related resources
January 4, 2006 2:54:05 PM

Quote:
http://www.westinghousedigital.com/pc-26-3-37-lcd-video...

Keep in mind that an LCD like this isn’t the only cost you will need to worry about think of the GPU power you will need to run it for games and other components like an SLI capable motherboard but that screen would be the closest thing I can think of to your requirements.

Thanks for the link. Apparently I missed that model in my searches. Westinghouse is not a name I normally think of in terms of monitors so I had not searched their site directly. I already have plenty of GPU and CPU power in my PC. I will definitely have to look into this Westinghouse monitor!

Thanks again,

Tshober
January 4, 2006 5:36:45 PM

The problem isn't so much the monitor as getting a graphics card to run it. I'll tell you right now that you'll struggle to game with any monitor larger than 24" and 1920x1200 resolution.
January 4, 2006 6:24:26 PM

Quote:
The problem isn't so much the monitor as getting a graphics card to run it. I'll tell you right now that you'll struggle to game with any monitor larger than 24" and 1920x1200 resolution.

My current video is a Geforce 7800 GTX and my PC is an AMD 4800+ dual core with 2GB of RAM. My current monitor is a 30" Viewsonic LCD running at 1280 X 768 and it works well but I want more resolution. The Westinghouse monitor that was pointed out in the link above, would be about a 50% increase in screen size and about a 110% increase in resolution. That makes it very tempting to me. I found it for $1499 at amazon.com (actually shipped by J&R Music and Computer World) and I am strongly considering ordering it.

Tshober
January 5, 2006 5:10:37 PM

Quote:
If you check out some other forums you will find people who have talked about that monitor places like the hardocp forum etc.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=999451

Also I take it you know about the new Dell 30" not up to the specs you wanted as far as size goes but far better res then your current screen.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/br...

its only just about to be on sale so no price just yet but should be up in a few hours.

Thanks for the links. No, I was not aware of the new Dell monitor you mentioned but, like the Apple 30", it requires a dual-link DVI video card. Until mainstream gaming video cards start coming with dual-link DVI, I will have to pass. But won't it be great when they do!

Tshober
January 6, 2006 12:05:12 PM

ur willing to shill out over $1500 for a display, but not $500 for a display device card???
January 7, 2006 2:21:36 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the links. No, I was not aware of the new Dell monitor you mentioned but, like the Apple 30", it requires a dual-link DVI video card. Until mainstream gaming video cards start coming with dual-link DVI, I will have to pass. But won't it be great when they do!

Tshober

You said bellow you had a 7800GTX? That has a dual-link DVI if you have the 512 version it has 2 of them.

Depending on your games I’d be thinking dual 7800GTX (SLI) for the sort of screen you want to game on would be better.

There are already games that will kill your GPU power at the resolutions you’re talking about. Eg. F.E.A.R and others will make a 7800GTX SLI setup running 1920x1200+ perform like a dog.

Because of the sort of money your talking about to game on 30"+ high res screens I think you really should know a lot more about the requirements to obtain the performance needed id recommend doing a lot more reading on the requirements and cost of what your proposing before you buy anything... unless your rich then id still recommend the same except you can pay someone to research it for you ;) 
January 9, 2006 9:55:06 PM

Quote:

Tshober

You said bellow you had a 7800GTX? That has a dual-link DVI if you have the 512 version it has 2 of them.

Depending on your games I’d be thinking dual 7800GTX (SLI) for the sort of screen you want to game on would be better.

There are already games that will kill your GPU power at the resolutions you’re talking about. Eg. F.E.A.R and others will make a 7800GTX SLI setup running 1920x1200+ perform like a dog.

Because of the sort of money your talking about to game on 30"+ high res screens I think you really should know a lot more about the requirements to obtain the performance needed id recommend doing a lot more reading on the requirements and cost of what your proposing before you buy anything... unless your rich then id still recommend the same except you can pay someone to research it for you ;) 

Thanks for the advice but I am pretty much going to blow you off.

I realize that some games (mostly FPS's) can really eat GPU power but I don't tend to play games that push the GPU power all that hard. I mostly play MMORPG's like WoW and CoH. The last FPS I played all the way through was the shareware version of Doom. I could be wrong but I really doubt that any of my favorite games are going to push the GPU power I already have when running at 1920 X 1080 on the Westinghouse monitor that I have ordered. And, if I find that one of my favorite games does slow down, that gives me an excuse to do another upgrade, which is almost as much fun as the games themselves ;) 

You are correct about the Geforce 7800 GTX being dual link DVI. When I had first researched the Apple 30" Cinema monitor a little over a year ago, the 7800 series had not yet been announced so, at that time, no mainstream gaming cards for Windows supported the Apple 30" native resolutuion. I am glad to find that the newest NVIDIA series now supports that resloution. That bodes well for the future of large monitors running at high resolutions. But support for 1920 X 1080 is still a bit more mainstream than the Apple (and now Dell) native resolution of 2560 X 1600.

Tshober
!