New LCD recommendations?

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Basically just want an LCD that's:
-19"-20"
-no more than $380 (not including tax/etc)
-excellent for gaming [great blacks/greys/etc] (FarCry,BF2,COD2,etc)
-excellent for DVD's
- can be bought at BestBuy, CompUSA, Fry's, or another popular retail store (not online, want to see if there are any dead-pixels first before i spend my money).

So far, looked and found:
1.) Hyundai L90D+
2.) Samsung 915N
3.) Dell Ultrasharp 1905FP

Lemme know what your recommendations are ASAP (hopin to get within next week or so)...Thanks in advance -peace

RichPLS

Champion
I got Dell 2405FPW and love it. I believe the 1905 to be good also, and can get real bargains on it, I got my 2405 for 899, could of gotten it for 60 cheaper a month earlier, oh well...

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
Did u get yours through an online site or in-person at a store? The reason i ask is because it seems to be cheaper to get online, yet, i'm worried about the whole dead-pixel thing... I'm anxious as hell to get one, but at the same time i'm worried about getting it from newegg.com or similar... I'm assuming at a store you can plug in and view the screen before you buy (?) What do you think about the whole dead-pixel thing? By the way, this is my first LCD, and i want it to last... Lemme know, thanks for recommendation! (1905FP is close to 2005FPW in price... kind of expensive). -Peace

RichPLS

Champion
I bought my 2450FPW direct from Dell, 3yr warranty and zero dead pixels. DHuckle and Ned Flanders are a couple of others who post here who also recently got one also, and no dead pixels with theirs either...

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
interesting, sounds good. I'm still weary about LCD's. I want a monitor that's:
- awesome for high-end gaming
- awesome for DVD playing
- great for regular use

What's the recommended response time for my usage?
- 8ms
- 12ms
- 16ms
- 20ms

Heard 8ms is mostly for gaming and horrible for DVD's. I don't care what the size, want to spend no more than $350 on this (lowered the price).

PS.
(1905FP has 20ms, kinda sketchy)
(L90D+ lots of problems)

New list:
- Samsung 915N
- Dell Ultrasharp 1704FPV
- BenQFP71G+
- BenQFP91G+
- Samsung 710N

Lemme know ASAP, thanks again, thanks in advance! -peace

k2000k

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006
Response times dont convey the information you would wish. Read any review from extremetech or tomshardware and a common theme is how innaccurately/seletively skewed reponse times are reported. I remember reading a good article on this site a few months ago. I think you could find a list of good LCD's in this site