Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Toshiba recovery discs? (For looping restart problem.)

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
February 18, 2008 2:59:05 AM

Here's the situation: my wife's laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3292, isn't able to boot into Windows XP. I think the XP install is toast since it won't stop rebooting when it tries to launch Windows, whether she tries to boot up normally, go into Safe Mode, or use Last Known Good Configuration.

I was thinking of biting the bullet and wiping out her entire system (which she doesn't really want to do) using the recovery disc. Except, she's lost the recovery disc.

So does anyone know where I can order a new recovery disc? If it's on Toshiba's web site, I couldn't find it.

Thanks.
February 18, 2008 4:23:00 AM

Have you tried calling their customer support and asking for one? If that doesn't work, offer to buy one?
February 18, 2008 5:00:40 AM

We haven't because we figured that, since it's out of warranty, they'd charge us just to talk to them. :) 
Related resources
February 18, 2008 10:32:42 PM

A lot of recovery disks are an image of the machine, which means they only work on that machine. Probably will have to suck it up and get a copy of XP OEM, $89 at newegg. You'll have to download the drivers from Toshiba and copy them to a CD
February 25, 2008 6:20:39 AM

What you can do is borrow a windows XP disc from someone and use it to install. As long as you have your cd key (sticker on the back of the lappy) and you are not using a volume disc xp disc, you should be able to reinstall the OS.
February 26, 2008 5:58:06 AM

Killah_Kal88 said:
What you can do is borrow a windows XP disc from someone and use it to install. As long as you have your cd key (sticker on the back of the lappy) and you are not using a volume disc xp disc, you should be able to reinstall the OS.

Actually, that's more or less what I did. :) 
July 27, 2008 1:20:07 AM

I have the same ... exact problem. I had a computer repair business and I only do friends machines now, but this happens a lot with XP HOME edition.
... on DELL, HP, Toshiba, Fry's laptops, etc.

It never happens with XP professional that I have seen, just the images that are specially made for these commercial machines.

I have a theory ... maybe running the recovery process for the oem XP home edition might work... I have never tried it. I'm going to try it tonight.

I don't think that this can be called a virus, but I think that it is most likely related to a virus that writes to some area of the windows OS/ or registry.

Maybe it's a program that is placed in the registry under localmachine/software/microsoft/system/runonce/bad.exe and the bad.exe caused a BSOD. I'm not sure, but this would cause the same symptom.

Anyway, it causes a reboot and you might notice a bluescreen (bsod) right before it reboots. There are a lot of programs for sale that claim to be able to fix this... I doubt it, I downloaded one of this hacks and it was a waste of money.

Is the problem a MS-OS problem? hmmm this is a distinct possiblility, MS would never claim up to it if it was, or would they...?

ok, I'll try tonight but don't count your chickens.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 27, 2009 1:08:04 AM

I was told to go to call toshiba and order one when my daughter's laptop when bonkers. Hers wouldn't even come on. But nonetheless, best buy and their geek squad told me to call toshiba and request a free copy of this. Disk repair and recovery. Hope this helps.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
February 12, 2010 7:28:54 PM

fundillo said:
I have the same ... exact problem. I had a computer repair business and I only do friends machines now, but this happens a lot with XP HOME edition.
... on DELL, HP, Toshiba, Fry's laptops, etc.

It never happens with XP professional that I have seen, just the images that are specially made for these commercial machines.

I have a theory ... maybe running the recovery process for the oem XP home edition might work... I have never tried it. I'm going to try it tonight.

I don't think that this can be called a virus, but I think that it is most likely related to a virus that writes to some area of the windows OS/ or registry.

Maybe it's a program that is placed in the registry under localmachine/software/microsoft/system/runonce/bad.exe and the bad.exe caused a BSOD. I'm not sure, but this would cause the same symptom.

Anyway, it causes a reboot and you might notice a bluescreen (bsod) right before it reboots. There are a lot of programs for sale that claim to be able to fix this... I doubt it, I downloaded one of this hacks and it was a waste of money.

Is the problem a MS-OS problem? hmmm this is a distinct possiblility, MS would never claim up to it if it was, or would they...?

ok, I'll try tonight but don't count your chickens.

Hi, I have the same problem with my computer and I was wondering how you fixed it. Thanks. Please email me ***
Appreciate it.

* Do not ask for e-mails in the forum! :non:  * - TGGA
March 12, 2010 2:03:32 AM

RobertM525 said:
Here's the situation: my wife's laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3292, isn't able to boot into Windows XP. I think the XP install is toast since it won't stop rebooting when it tries to launch Windows, whether she tries to boot up normally, go into Safe Mode, or use Last Known Good Configuration.

I was thinking of biting the bullet and wiping out her entire system (which she doesn't really want to do) using the recovery disc. Except, she's lost the recovery disc.

So does anyone know where I can order a new recovery disc? If it's on Toshiba's web site, I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

Robert, I got the recovery set for my Toshiba Satellite M55 from this place:

http://www.digitalmedia-labs.com/index.html

They worked like a charm for mine!
a b D Laptop
March 12, 2010 2:08:15 AM

If you're an uber geek, how did you allow yourself to post in a thread that's 2 years old?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 7, 2010 6:14:55 PM

this should help you order it online and buy the way they will not charge you to speak to them and they will give you the web site to order it from
since you can only purchase it online not over the phone
toshiba toll free customer support 18004577777
https://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/se...
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2010 2:01:59 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
!