Your question
Closed

What is the best free antivirus software for windows 7 2012

Last response: in Windows 7
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
August 13, 2012 3:56:50 PM

Microsoft Security Essentials or Avast free edition are good choices.
Score
August 13, 2012 3:58:49 PM

MSE is pretty decent, but most of them work about as well as all of them...that is to say not as well as they should. ;-)
Score
Related resources
August 13, 2012 4:21:42 PM

I agree with Area51. I was using MSE for the longest time, but recently did a reinstall of Windows 7 and have started using Avast! instead.

Toms did a review of a number of different free antivirus software out there with comparisons, check it out: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-free-antivirus-2012,re...
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 7:44:31 PM

Hi :) 

I fix viruses EVERY DAY....

Best FREE = MSE imho 20/100

Best PAID = Norton Internet Security 2012....imho 98/100

All the best Brett :) 
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 7:56:28 PM

AVG, Avast, Aviria. Take your pick.
Score
August 13, 2012 8:00:51 PM

4745454b said:
AVG, Avast, Aviria. Take your pick.

Listen to this guy!

P.S. the guy suggesting Norton Internet Security must work for Sysmantec because it is known Norton sucks bad.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 8:06:08 PM

schnitter said:
Listen to this guy!

P.S. the guy suggesting Norton Internet Security must work for Sysmantec because it is known Norton sucks bad.

+1
Score
a b $ Windows 7
August 13, 2012 8:08:20 PM

schnitter said:
Listen to this guy!

He always suggests Norton, That said, Maybe they have made massive improvements(some other users have stated the same thing). It has honestly been years since I used it. At that time it was the slowest thing EVERY.

I use AVG or MSE and they both work just fine.
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
August 13, 2012 8:38:07 PM

the guy suggesting Norton Internet Security must work for Symantec because it is known Norton sucks bad. < norton overhauled the product line a few years ago and they are now on the forefront of the industry with gdata
Score
a b 8 Security
a c 395 $ Windows 7
a b è Antivirus
August 13, 2012 8:39:53 PM

I use Norton and GDATA products and both are fantastic!
Score
October 19, 2012 10:06:56 AM

Gdata uses Avast's engine, infact it uses two, Bit Defender and Avast the last time I checked a couple months ago. Norton Security tools for home users is pure 'Grade-A' crapware. Fanbois are usually the ones recommending the software and are usually only using it because they got caught by their marketing schemes. That is, buying a prebuilt machine from a large retail outlet like Staples/Wal-Mart/Futureshop/BestBuy etc..., and having Norton Internet Security preinstalled. Then when Norton Internet Security starts to state, or I should say scare the user, that their system is not going to be protected any more and open to all kinds of threats. This is when the user should uninstall it and go with another solution. I have a friend that won't change his Norton Internet Security because he paid for it and doesn't want to waste a years license but he just can't grasp the concept of how bad this route is. Loose the subscription people, and I HIGHLY recommend using Avast Internet Security or Avast 7 Pro if you can afford it. If not the free version is absolutely fantastic and feature rich, more features than full flagship solutions a few years ago from similar developers.

Just always make sure you understand that no one security solution is best or will protect your system from every threat out there. I run Avast Internet Security with realtime scanning enabled and also run a couple malware scanners every other week. Avast doesn't really scan for tracking cookies for example but a program like Malware Bytes/SuperAntiSpyware/Exterminate IT! or others like CCleaner/Cleansweep/HiJackThis. If your also wanting to cleanup your system and check for various errors automatically with heaps of excellent tools is Tuneup Utilities 2013. Tuneup Utilities 2013, Total Uninstall Pro (the best snapshot uninstaller PERIOD) and Avast Internet Security are always installed on my machines, right after a format as well.
Score
October 20, 2012 4:18:42 AM

I hate avast it froze up my pc and costed me tones to get reformatted to orginal operation again but MSE is best for me
Score
October 26, 2012 5:11:33 AM

chhaya bhatt said:
Hello,
I WANT TO DOWN LOAD FREE ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMME

Hi Chaya,

You can try Immunet Antivirus' free version. I'm using it and its light and fast software. I love it and I hope you would also like it.
Score
December 15, 2012 1:10:47 AM

schnitter said:
Listen to this guy!

While it is common knowledge that Norton/Symantec consumer grade applications have been junk for over a decade... I am deeply ashamed to admit that I am currently using their latest antivirus... and after 5 months I can say with zero doubt that it is an outstanding piece of software. So good in fact that I believe it is better than the current Security Essentials, AVG, and Avira. All three of those products have recently given clients of mine problems where they missed threats which resulted in a big headache for myself.

Ever since Norton became an overbloated piece of crap back around the time of Windows 95, I've avoided it like the plague. But with their latest version, it's very good. So good in fact that I use it on both my main workstation and my business laptop.

(and before anyone claims I work for Norton or am some n00b, just look up my SN over at xtremesystems)
Score
a b $ Windows 7
December 18, 2012 4:22:19 PM

I use Avast! Free. I have no complaints. I complement it with Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.
Score
March 26, 2013 2:31:13 PM

One Nut said:
Gdata uses Avast's engine, infact it uses two, Bit Defender and Avast the last time I checked a couple months ago. Norton Security tools for home users is pure 'Grade-A' crapware. Fanbois are usually the ones recommending the software and are usually only using it because they got caught by their marketing schemes. That is, buying a prebuilt machine from a large retail outlet like Staples/Wal-Mart/Futureshop/BestBuy etc..., and having Norton Internet Security preinstalled. Then when Norton Internet Security starts to state, or I should say scare the user, that their system is not going to be protected any more and open to all kinds of threats. This is when the user should uninstall it and go with another solution. I have a friend that won't change his Norton Internet Security because he paid for it and doesn't want to waste a years license but he just can't grasp the concept of how bad this route is. Loose the subscription people, and I HIGHLY recommend using Avast Internet Security or Avast 7 Pro if you can afford it. If not the free version is absolutely fantastic and feature rich, more features than full flagship solutions a few years ago from similar developers.

Just always make sure you understand that no one security solution is best or will protect your system from every threat out there. I run Avast Internet Security with realtime scanning enabled and also run a couple malware scanners every other week. Avast doesn't really scan for tracking cookies for example but a program like Malware Bytes/SuperAntiSpyware/Exterminate IT! or others like CCleaner/Cleansweep/HiJackThis. If your also wanting to cleanup your system and check for various errors automatically with heaps of excellent tools is Tuneup Utilities 2013. Tuneup Utilities 2013, Total Uninstall Pro (the best snapshot uninstaller PERIOD) and Avast Internet Security are always installed on my machines, right after a format as well.

I agree completly norton , mcafee have won major contracts so they have the coin to push there products through other retailers and adverts .. only reason they on top.. same as the mmo world , everyone knows wow cos its a big advertised game but its not the best by far
Score
May 8, 2013 1:19:07 AM

AVG or microsoft security essentials
Score
May 10, 2013 4:14:52 AM

I support Norton because they give full support to their user by her " Antivirus Service " team.
Score
May 31, 2013 1:32:31 AM

Be aware from the duplicate antivirus software of Microsoft essential pro 2013
Score
May 31, 2013 1:51:46 AM

edwardsmith said:
I support Norton because they give full support to their user by her " Antivirus Service " team.

You are right there my friend. I used to be a tech at Norton/Symantec and they give much better support than others even when the product sucks.. Its not that its too bad but it tends to fail itself and inevitably calling Norton Removal Tool to have it removed and reinstalled and its a resource hogger and choke your PC to hell. Technology wise its better.. Final Verdict, they may have market share but not convincing enough to be put even on my PC.. :p 

Score
!