Windows XP Startup Problems. Help!

June 16, 2005 4:31:02 PM

Hi everyone,

I am having problems with my computer starting up and I'm using my cousin's
computer now.

Here's the problem. My computer's OS Windows XP Home and yesterday, it was
running smoothly and everything. This moning, I turned on my computer and
everything was well until just before the screen where they show the icons to
log into an account (where the windows XP screen says: Starting Up), it hangs
and does nothing.

So I restart, try again, wait for a long time, all don't work. I didn't
install anything new or did anything much on my computer. Why is it like that?

So I inserted the windows XP home CD into the drive and restarted, and chose
to repair the operating system. They installed some files, and restarted to
continue the installation.. then just when the installation begins, it hangs!
I restarted and it still hangs!

So here are my questions:

1. Does anyone know what on earth is wrong with my system?
2. Does anyone know HOW I can fix the thing and get my computer back?
3. Suppose i can't get it back, can i plug my hard disk into another
computer and copy all the data out?
4. What other things can i try to get it working?
5. What will you do if you were me? Any other suggestions or comments?

I appreciate your effort and help.

Thank you very much.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 7:58:04 PM

Can you start in safe mode? If so there may be something in the logs to help
you determine exactly what it is. You might want to also run a check disk and
see if it takes care of it.

"idreamz" wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having problems with my computer starting up and I'm using my cousin's
> computer now.
>
> Here's the problem. My computer's OS Windows XP Home and yesterday, it was
> running smoothly and everything. This moning, I turned on my computer and
> everything was well until just before the screen where they show the icons to
> log into an account (where the windows XP screen says: Starting Up), it hangs
> and does nothing.
>
> So I restart, try again, wait for a long time, all don't work. I didn't
> install anything new or did anything much on my computer. Why is it like that?
>
> So I inserted the windows XP home CD into the drive and restarted, and chose
> to repair the operating system. They installed some files, and restarted to
> continue the installation.. then just when the installation begins, it hangs!
> I restarted and it still hangs!
>
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know what on earth is wrong with my system?
> 2. Does anyone know HOW I can fix the thing and get my computer back?
> 3. Suppose i can't get it back, can i plug my hard disk into another
> computer and copy all the data out?
> 4. What other things can i try to get it working?
> 5. What will you do if you were me? Any other suggestions or comments?
>
> I appreciate your effort and help.
>
> Thank you very much.
June 17, 2005 5:02:30 AM

idreamz wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am having problems with my computer starting up and I'm using my cousin's
> computer now.
>
> Here's the problem. My computer's OS Windows XP Home and yesterday, it was
> running smoothly and everything. This moning, I turned on my computer and
> everything was well until just before the screen where they show the icons to
> log into an account (where the windows XP screen says: Starting Up), it hangs
> and does nothing.
>
> So I restart, try again, wait for a long time, all don't work. I didn't
> install anything new or did anything much on my computer. Why is it like that?
>
> So I inserted the windows XP home CD into the drive and restarted, and chose
> to repair the operating system. They installed some files, and restarted to
> continue the installation.. then just when the installation begins, it hangs!
> I restarted and it still hangs!
>
> So here are my questions:
>
> 1. Does anyone know what on earth is wrong with my system?
> 2. Does anyone know HOW I can fix the thing and get my computer back?
> 3. Suppose i can't get it back, can i plug my hard disk into another
> computer and copy all the data out?
> 4. What other things can i try to get it working?
> 5. What will you do if you were me? Any other suggestions or comments?
>
> I appreciate your effort and help.
>
> Thank you very much.

Install the drive as a slave drive in another XP computer and copy the
important data. Then reinstall in the original system, boot from the XP
CD and choose the first repair to enter the recovery console. Assume
the administrator account password is blank and hit enter when asked for
it. At the command line enter chkdsk /p. See if that helps.

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307654

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User