Abit nf7 RAID speed

pat

Expert
I've read that the ITE RAID controller is slow.... around 55MB/s. Can someone with a nf7 can confirm that? I need to know cause the nf7 is cheap and full of features that I may need for another machine, but my soltek's RAID goes up to 95 MB/s, with HDTach. So if is it not as fast or faster, I'll go with the Soltek again.

Thanks

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

beigeboxer

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2004
i have an ite controller on a giga byte board
in short don't bother with the ite controller find something like promise or highpoint
the ite reads okay but it writes at half the speed it should (sisoft sandra 2004) i got random chkdisk error's on boot
i gave up after 2 motherboards and 4 bios swaps the same result. the hdds are maxtor 80gig and are fine they work okay in a promise raid 0 setup no errors
i now just use the ordinary nforce eide this works okay.
the ite wasn't reliable in any mode not even std eide ata133
maybe the abit bios is okay? and it will work?

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/controllers-raid0.html" target="_new">Here's</A> a review of different RAID controller cards in RAID 0. The Silicon Image 3112 is in the review, and that's the chip the NF7-S uses. I'd imagine the performance would be very similar (for the onboard vs add-in card, since they're using the same chip. I could be wrong, though).

If the performance isn't acceptable, you could just sell the SATA adapter that comes with the board and put that money towards a Promise card :wink:

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>