Hello:
Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). - After installing the
latest eight updates (KB896358, 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458,
893066, 890830) all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody else had
this happening? What is the cause?
Thanks for your reply.
--
Fwall4

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/adjustdihealthy.html

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
Click on System in the left pane.
Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#EventViewer

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

Fwall4 wrote:
> Hello:
> Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). -
> After installing the latest eight updates (KB896358,
> 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458, 893066, 890830)
> all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody else
> had this happening? What is the cause?
> Thanks for your reply.

Hi, Bert K.
Thanks for your reply. However, I have cleared my event viewer b4 looking at
the "Source" column and thereby lost the info. I have created a new restore
point in case something goes wrong (again). MS update sometimes does quirky
things and this latest one was one of them. Maybe MS didn't want me to go
back to a previous date and cancelling the updates. Who knows??
Thanks for taking the time to write.--
Fwall4

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
> Click on System in the left pane.
> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source name column in
> the right pane to sort by source name, look for "sr" and "srservice".
> Double click on each of these events, then click on the button below
> the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event
> information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each of the
> two event here. This will help us in diagnosing the problem.
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#EventViewer
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://dts-l.org/
>
> Fwall4 wrote:
> > Hello:
> > Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). -
> > After installing the latest eight updates (KB896358,
> > 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458, 893066, 890830)
> > all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody else
> > had this happening? What is the cause?
> > Thanks for your reply.

Hi Rock:
Thanks for the info but my disk space usage is set at 12% (8584 MB) or
maximum. Besides, I had cleared previous restrore points to create more free
space on my hard disk. Somehow one of the updates deleted my current system
restore point. Maybe MS didn't want me to cancel the updates by going back to
a previous date.... who knows??
Thanks,
Fwall4

"Rock" wrote:

> Fwall4 wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> > Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). - After installing the
> > latest eight updates (KB896358, 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458,
> > 893066, 890830) all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody else had
> > this happening? What is the cause?
> > Thanks for your reply.
>
> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/adjustdihealthy.html
>
> --
> Rock
> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Fwall4 wrote:

> Hi Rock:
> Thanks for the info but my disk space usage is set at 12% (8584 MB) or
> maximum. Besides, I had cleared previous restrore points to create more free
> space on my hard disk. Somehow one of the updates deleted my current system
> restore point. Maybe MS didn't want me to cancel the updates by going back to
> a previous date.... who knows??
> Thanks,
> Fwall4

You're welcome. Something similar happened here a couple of weeks ago.
Haven't figured out what caused that either.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

How much free disk space is there? Is System Restore monitoring drives
other than the C:\ drive?
A low disk space condition during the Windows Update may have caused
the restore points to be removed. This is where the Event Viewer log
may have come in handy.

I installed the same updates and have retained all my restore points.

--

Fwall4 wrote:
> Hi Rock:
> Thanks for the info but my disk space usage is set at 12%
> (8584 MB) or maximum. Besides, I had cleared previous
> restrore points to create more free space on my hard
> disk. Somehow one of the updates deleted my current
> system restore point. Maybe MS didn't want me to cancel
> the updates by going back to a previous date.... who
> knows??
> Thanks,
> Fwall4
>

> "Rock" wrote:
>
>> Fwall4 wrote:
>>
>>> Hello:
>>> Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). -
>>> After installing the latest eight updates (KB896358,
>>> 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458, 893066, 890830)
>>> all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody
>>> else had this happening? What is the cause?
>>> Thanks for your reply.
>>
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/adjustdihealthy.html
>>
>> --
>> Rock
>> MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

See my reply above. It's not a good practice to clean the event
viewer, particularly when updating and making changes to the system.

--

Fwall4 wrote:
> Hi, Bert K.
> Thanks for your reply. However, I have cleared my event
> viewer b4 looking at the "Source" column and thereby lost
> the info. I have created a new restore point in case
> something goes wrong (again). MS update sometimes does
> quirky things and this latest one was one of them. Maybe
> MS didn't want me to go back to a previous date and
> cancelling the updates. Who knows??
> Thanks for taking the time to write.--
> Fwall4
>

> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.
>> Click on System in the left pane.
>> Click the gray title "Source" at the top of the source
>> name column in the right pane to sort by source name,
>> look for "sr" and "srservice". Double click on each of
>> these events, then click on the button below the two
>> arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the
>> event information to the clipboard. Paste the
>> information for each of the two event here. This will
>> help us in diagnosing the problem.
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/tips.html#EventViewer
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://dts-l.org/
>>
>> Fwall4 wrote:
>>> Hello:
>>> Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). -
>>> After installing the latest eight updates (KB896358,
>>> 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458, 893066, 890830)
>>> all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody else
>>> had this happening? What is the cause?
>>> Thanks for your reply.

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Fwall4" <Fwall4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> Sorry for the double entry ( I hit the wrong key). - After installing the
> latest eight updates (KB896358, 890046, 896422, 896428, 883939, 898458,
> 893066, 890830) all my system restore points were gone. Has anybody else
> had
> this happening? What is the cause?
> Thanks for your reply.

Did you attach any external storage device with a little free space on it?

--
éÇÏÒØ ìÅÊËÏ (Igor Leyko) MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
ipigl@redline.ru