Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I benchmarked my Raptor drive (w/ 10 gig of data) vs My replacement IBM 'Deathstar' 40GXP 7200 drive (w/ 20 gig of data) using Sandra. Each time the Raptor only scored a couple hundred points higher than the IBM .. looks like my Raptor of 6 months is slowing down. I don't remember the exact numbers but I will repost after running Sandra again tonight.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Don't use sandra to benchmark drives with data on. Sandra gives varying results depending on the amount of data and fragmentation of the drive. However, it does give more a true image on how the filesystem behaves compared to e.g. HDTach that only performs lowlevel non-file/filesystem related tests.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
I ran another Sandra after some hoouse cleaning and defrag on both drives. The Raptor 10K is using 7 gig (of 36), while the IBM 7.2k uses 27 (of 40). Now the results seem more realistic, but still close non the less:

Single Raptor using 7 gig
36517 kB/s Sandra points

Single IBM Deathstar using 27 gig
25596 kB/s

The Raptor has been in use now for 5 months, The IBM is a new warranty replacement drive.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Yes. I don't think there's anything wrong with that drive. But, Derek, if you want to test the DRIVE (as opposed to the filesystem) use e.g. HDTach.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Makaveli

Splendid
Aren't there any better Hard drive benchmarks besides hd-tach? which as far as i know is only good for low level results. How about something that is more informative about everyday usage?

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Yes, there are plenty of those. Check what tools are used at recent HD benchmark tests here at THG. Note: They never use sandra.

Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
yes i have tried HDTAch before and the results are good. I don't have the numbers now as I am at work.

I don't understand why people think this drive is loud .. It's actually quieter than some of my other 7200 drives.

Makaveli

Splendid
From what I've heard they say it has some squealing noises, cause the first edition of the 36GB raptor doesn't have Fluid bearing motors. which was corrected in the 74gb model, and apparently a second edition of the 36gb model which should be out.

Derek1970

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2003
yes I've heard the same .. i have one of the older Raptors and like I said, it is more quiet than my 7200 IBM Deathstar ... go figure.

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
Xbitlabs wanted something that would test everyday usage. They created their own benchmarking software, fc-test, which is free for you to download and use.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:

CMT

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2004
I've recently bought a WD Raptor 36Gb and installed WinXP Pro plus all updates, but SisSoftware Sandra pro 2003 only produces a score of 19427 kB/s, now to me this seems far below its potential.
Are there any drivers i need to specifically install to get the drive working as it should.
At the time of testing i had 5Gb free, just booted up windows and had recently de-fragged.

Im running on an Asus P4C800 MB.

Any help/tips would be appetiated as my raptors getting dirty looks from myself and the 120 IBM IDE that is currently out performing it.

Cheers

Chris