Buying Windows 7 Home Premium...where should I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F_Pastor

Honorable
Aug 11, 2012
Hey, forum, I'm about to build my new computer (posted about it in the System section) but I'm having trouble choosing somewhere to buy my OS from, which is going to be Windows 7 Home Premium.

I was looking before at this version on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Premium-64bit-System-Builder/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344892818&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7+home+premium+64+bit

but I was a little worried about what would happen if my motherboard broke... would I have to buy a whole new copy or would buying the same motherboard again be fine?

Otherwise, there's the "normal" version, I guess it's called, for about $150-$160 on amazon too.

But then someone posted in my System Build thread about buying Windows 7 from here:

http://us.ebid.net/for-sale/microsoft-windows-home-premium-x-71238157.htm

I'm assuming it's the "normal" version because it says you can use it on 3 computers. However, I am skeptical about its legitimacy. Feedback looks good, and the person who recommended it said that someone else on this site (I don't know who) said that they were okay to buy from, but I wanted some other opinions or recommendations...

So should I buy the OEM, the regular retail version, or the "regular" one from the last site I mentioned?

Solution
The OEM versions lock into a single motherboard, so if you change the motherboard you'll need a new copy of Windows. As the lincense is tied to the board.

If you plan to stick with the same board for a while and upgrading everything else, then i'd say go for it.

The standard version is the best overall, besides price.

CDdude55

Distinguished
The OEM versions lock into a single motherboard, so if you change the motherboard you'll need a new copy of Windows. As the lincense is tied to the board.

If you plan to stick with the same board for a while and upgrading everything else, then i'd say go for it.

The standard version is the best overall, besides price.

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your copy of Windows is locked to the PC on which you purchased it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

Microsoft.com

Status
Not open for further replies.