[Help] 32bit win 7 has duplicated "Program Files" folders!

Status
Not open for further replies.

surmav

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Hello,

I have issue, some how i got duplicated "Program Files" folders in my C:\ disk, one has space on its name ("Program Files(space)").
Untitled.png

It takes extra space, how can i get rid off it, unable to delete.
That's really weird issue on 32 bit windows 7 :p Help!! :)

surmav

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011

Have you ever seen 64bit windows that has another Program Files without (x86) in it?
Trust me its 32 bit...

Just making sure; because this is an odd thing; and yes I know it has (x86), I've used 64 bit for quite some time.

Well what you could do is, go to Start Menu open an application(one that can be reinstalled easily), then go to the program folders and try deleting the folder inside one of the"program folders" if it does not delete then that should the correct "programs folder." Then delete the other "programs folder" to see if that works out.

This is just an idea. Make sure your stuffs backed up and safe.

Or you could just try merging them? Are they both the same size, actual copies of each other from what you see?

surmav

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
Good idea but didn't work :p

Edit: Oh good i found problem that caused it. I had at registry ProgramFilesDir value set to C:\Programs Files with space after Files that made another folder as tried to install program into it :p dammit..

surmav

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I changed registry ProgramFilesDir value myself because i had second partition so i wanted that all programs/updates would get installed into D:\ partition later i realized that its not good idea because windows updates gets buggy, later i changed it back to C:\Program Files but added by accident "space" after files so this directory got duplicated :p Problem solved everything is ok now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.