How much notebook needed for Company of Heroes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Looking to get a laptop in the next few months to replace my current Inspiron 2650 (1.7 Ghz P4, 512 RAM, 40 GB, DVD burner, Nvidia Geforce 2 Go, 15" screen.....).

I'm looking to stay with a 15.4" inch widescreen as I like the size (and it's got more options from more companies. Due to work, I'll be getting Vista Ultimate. I'd like to get a Core 2 5000 or 7000 series CPU, 2 GB ram, DVD burner (or even Blu Ray ROM / DVD burner drive), but other than that I'm not sure what I'll want / need. 80% of the time I'll just be doing basic work functions (e-mail, simple sales software, internet, office stuff). Though I will also use it for DVD backups, music encoding, as a mobile media server pictures, video, music).

I will also be doing some gaming on it, the most tortuous game being Company of Heroes. How much would be needed in addition to what's mentioned above should I look for? Specifically in a video card.

I also know that Intel is coming out with a new "platform" for notebooks, called Montevina or something. Would the integrated video in that platform be enough for basic (low/medium settings) gaming?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Company of Heroes, ah...my roommate can barely play it on minimum with an Intel GMA (he gets like 20 fps at these settings), and I can play it maxed out with a 7950 GTX...so in today's terms, to play it at medium-highish, I'd say go for a 8600 GT.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
That's why I said "medium -high" :D

But yes, depends how well you want to play it, but it's a trade off. You can get an 8600 GT card in a 15.4 laptop, so it'll be smaller/lighter/more battery, but to get a computer for max performance with something beefier like the 7950 will force you to get a 17" laptop.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Really, I don't want to go much over $1,000-1,200 if I can help it. Like I said, I won't be doing much gaming at all on it, but I would like to have the option to should I ever want to. I won't, though, play everything on high. My e2140 OC'ed to 2.67 ghz with a OC'ed 8600GT desktop won't even play it maxed out! What really is more important to me is staying with a 15.4" inch model, being able to run Vista Ultimate smoothly, play and burn DVDs with no problems, go from a cold boot to online in under 2 minutes....things like that.....

Like I said, I can wait a bit for the new centrino 2 lineup that's coming out, and I most likely will. Being able to play Blu-Ray movies, wireless N and bluetooth are all big pluses in my book as well.

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
Just to point out, the boot time will steadily get longer the more you use your computer, it's just a fact, because of the programs that you load. I keep a tight hold on what starts up, and it still takes me about 1 minute 30 seconds from cold boot to hard drive activity stop.

I personally don't know enough different models of laptops to suggest one, but I think you can find one that will fit your needs for about 1200.

Since you can wait that will help. That will give you time to see what new stuff is coming.

p3matty

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
Yeah, I'll definitely wait (unless my 2650 explodes or spontaneously gets thrown out a window during one of it's infamous long boot ups). I've looked at the specs of the upcoming "montevina" or "Centrino 2" from Intel, and I think it would be dumb not to wait for a few months for one of these unless you can't live without one now. Better/faster CPU support, higher FSB, DDR3 support, better built in wireless, and a better integrated video card should you get one with it.

If I had to get one now, I really like the Dell 15.4" XPS, and can build one with all the things I want (save the blu-ray) for around $1,100, or pick one up from my local Best Buy and do so with 12 months no interest! Going with blu-ray requires going all the way to a blu-ray read/write (not just read) drive ($500 upgrade), as well as going to a 8600GT (another $100-$150 upgrade). I'm not paying an extra $600 to just watch my current collection of 12 blu-ray movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.