Notepad - FileOpen type default

How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between *.html
files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
Thanks.

Why don't you just put notepad in your sendto? Then you can just
right-click the file and send it to notepad open right up.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
> simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between
*.html
> files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
> Thanks.

Thanks George - I use Notepad to write and update the html webpage code for
several sites.

I need to cut, copy & paste between several pages in several folders
sequentially ( rarely the same sequence though ) eg in changing the script
for a navigation bar and copying the changes across several sites.

It's too easy to lose track of what I have modified and what I have not if I
try to work from an IE folder and use the "sendto" to open the files in
Notepad.

There are other editors / programs - I could even use Macromedia to write
the pages, but for simple basic control I prefer Notepad ( it doesn't try to
"second-guess" me or change all my folder hierarchy all the time ).

It would just simply make my clicking life much easier if the default first
fileopen type was "All Files" / *.* instead of "Text Files" / *.Txt - then I
would see the entire file listing in the folder and be able with only one
click to select the one I needed ( which in all probability has an *.html
extension ).

Thanks again - Oakchips

"George Hester" wrote:

> Why don't you just put notepad in your sendto? Then you can just
> right-click the file and send it to notepad open right up.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
> > simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between
> *.html
> > files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
> > Thanks.

You are not working from an "IE Folder" in my suggestion you are working
from Windows Explorer.

OK I know what you are saying but unfortunately that cannot be done. There
is not registry setting(s) for this. Not everything depends on the
registry. When Microsoft made notepad.exe they designed it the way you see
bring up files of type txt first. The only way to change that is to hack
the code of notepad.exe. Namely redesign that Window.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
> Thanks George - I use Notepad to write and update the html webpage code
for
> several sites.
>
> I need to cut, copy & paste between several pages in several folders
> sequentially ( rarely the same sequence though ) eg in changing the script
> for a navigation bar and copying the changes across several sites.
>
> It's too easy to lose track of what I have modified and what I have not if
> try to work from an IE folder and use the "sendto" to open the files in
> Notepad.
>
> There are other editors / programs - I could even use Macromedia to write
> the pages, but for simple basic control I prefer Notepad ( it doesn't try
> "second-guess" me or change all my folder hierarchy all the time ).
>
> It would just simply make my clicking life much easier if the default
first
> fileopen type was "All Files" / *.* instead of "Text Files" / *.Txt - then
> would see the entire file listing in the folder and be able with only one
> click to select the one I needed ( which in all probability has an *.html
> extension ).
>
> Thanks again - Oakchips
>
> "George Hester" wrote:
>
> > Why don't you just put notepad in your sendto? Then you can just
> > right-click the file and send it to notepad open right up.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________
> > "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ?
This
> > > simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between
> > *.html
> > > files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
> > > Thanks.

Hi David,
Please forgive my ignorance, but I cannot see or find any "attached zip
file" - & Yes I did visit the link.
As George seems to have been able to find it I must assume it is my
knowledge level at fault here.
Could you perhaps be a little clearer as to where I can see it please ?
It certainly sounds interesting.
Thanks a lot - Oakchips

"David Candy" wrote:

> I modified the attached notpad in the zip. It opens *.*. It also has extra shortcut keys for wrap and status bar. And a second menu bar that acts as a toolbar.

> "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20682881-9F4D-4FF5-9FC7-A41D39C5AD14@microsoft.com...
> > How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
> > simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between *.html
> > files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
> > Thanks

You are of course correct George - it is WE and not IE.
I note what you say re the Registry - this is probably why I have failed to
find anything in spite of very many hours spent looking for something.
As Notepad is part of the core programs of XP I am reluctant to consider a
"hack" - especially as this would in all likelyhood be removed unseen during
one of the automatic "Updates".
Thanks for sharing your thoughts - Oakchips

"George Hester" wrote:

> You are not working from an "IE Folder" in my suggestion you are working
> from Windows Explorer.
>
> OK I know what you are saying but unfortunately that cannot be done. There
> is not registry setting(s) for this. Not everything depends on the
> registry. When Microsoft made notepad.exe they designed it the way you see
> bring up files of type txt first. The only way to change that is to hack
> the code of notepad.exe. Namely redesign that Window.
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks George - I use Notepad to write and update the html webpage code
> for
> > several sites.
> >
> > I need to cut, copy & paste between several pages in several folders
> > sequentially ( rarely the same sequence though ) eg in changing the script
> > for a navigation bar and copying the changes across several sites.
> >
> > It's too easy to lose track of what I have modified and what I have not if
> > try to work from an IE folder and use the "sendto" to open the files in
> > Notepad.
> >
> > There are other editors / programs - I could even use Macromedia to write
> > the pages, but for simple basic control I prefer Notepad ( it doesn't try
> > "second-guess" me or change all my folder hierarchy all the time ).
> >
> > It would just simply make my clicking life much easier if the default
> first
> > fileopen type was "All Files" / *.* instead of "Text Files" / *.Txt - then
> > would see the entire file listing in the folder and be able with only one
> > click to select the one I needed ( which in all probability has an *.html
> > extension ).
> >
> > Thanks again - Oakchips
> >
> > "George Hester" wrote:
> >
> > > Why don't you just put notepad in your sendto? Then you can just
> > > right-click the file and send it to notepad open right up.
> > >
> > > --
> > > George Hester
> > > _______________________________
> > > "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This
> > > *.html

Hi David. That is really cool and I suspect the op will be very happy with
it. But let me ask you isn't notepad.exe a system file?

--
George Hester
_______________________________

----------------------
"Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
> simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between
*.html
> files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
> Thanks.

You will need to use a proper newsreader instead of that quirky web
interface if you want to see attachments.

Outlook Express Newsreader-Setting up
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/newsgroups/setup.asp
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/resources/communities.htm#setupmsnews

....Alan

--
Alan Edwards, MS MVP W95/98 Systems
http://dts-l.org/index.html

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, "Oakchips"
<Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi David,
>Please forgive my ignorance, but I cannot see or find any "attached zip
>file" - & Yes I did visit the link.
>As George seems to have been able to find it I must assume it is my
>knowledge level at fault here.
>Could you perhaps be a little clearer as to where I can see it please ?
>It certainly sounds interesting.
>Thanks a lot - Oakchips
>
>"David Candy" wrote:
>
>> I modified the attached notpad in the zip. It opens *.*. It also has extra shortcut keys for wrap and status bar. And a second menu bar that acts as a toolbar.
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20682881-9F4D-4FF5-9FC7-A41D39C5AD14@microsoft.com...
>> > How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
>> > simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between *.html
>> > files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
>> > Thanks

The specific post is at

This newsgroup is at

You may need to uncheck a box in Tools menu - Options - Security from the main OE window (not the message window's menu) to see attachments..

"Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CE7C547E-9778-4AEE-8F04-78A2D26F3A9F@microsoft.com...
> Hi David,
> Please forgive my ignorance, but I cannot see or find any "attached zip
> file" - & Yes I did visit the link.
> As George seems to have been able to find it I must assume it is my
> knowledge level at fault here.
> Could you perhaps be a little clearer as to where I can see it please ?
> It certainly sounds interesting.
> Thanks a lot - Oakchips
>
> "David Candy" wrote:
>
>> I modified the attached notpad in the zip. It opens *.*. It also has extra shortcut keys for wrap and status bar. And a second menu bar that acts as a toolbar.
>>

>> --
>> http://webdiary.smh.com.au/archives/_comment/001075.html
>> "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:20682881-9F4D-4FF5-9FC7-A41D39C5AD14@microsoft.com...
>> > How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
>> > simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between *.html
>> > files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
>> > Thanks

It is a system file. Prior to SP2 only one of the two notepads was protected by Windows File Protection. Both are used. So one needs to put it somewhere other than windows or system32.

"George Hester" <hesterloli@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23vKZ54EdFHA.2760@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi David. That is really cool and I suspect the op will be very happy with
> it. But let me ask you isn't notepad.exe a system file?
>
> --
> George Hester
> _______________________________
> "David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> I modified the attached notpad in the zip. It opens *.*. It also has extra
> shortcut keys for wrap and status bar. And a second menu bar that acts as a
> toolbar.

> ----------------------
> "Oakchips" <Oakchips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> How do I change the default "FileOpen" from "*.txt" to "All Files" ? This
>> simple change will save much repetitive clicking when moving between
> *.html
>> files as they are not displayed until the "All Files" is entered.
>> Thanks.

Thanks David, Alan & George,

I had forgotten that I was working from the web URL and that many "forums"
are in fact Newsgroups. Your timely and helpful reminders are very much
appreciated - many thanks.
It may be a few hours before I can devote the computer time to setting up
OE, but I most certainly will do so - and get back to you all.

Regards - Oakchips