M3God

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2004
I was just wondering.

Is their any real difference between buying a "matched pair" of DDR ram .vs buying 2 identical ddr sticks.

What if you buy 2 sticks of different brand but of the same capacity (MB)?

Thank You

BP

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There shouldn't be, it's just that matched pairs are tested together. That shouldn't matter, except that PC3200 isn't exactly the most reliable memory. In fact most PC3200 is garbage for stability, having been set too close to it's lowest possible latency to be 100% stable on many boards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Xrtaea

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
Hmm...
since you mentioned pc3200 stability...
There's this board that i'm trying to put in good use with KT400 and 333FSB. I have one stick of pc2700 to use with it and a xp2000+ cpu. I want to use more memory, so i could get another pc2700 stick... or should i get pc3200 since it can support 400mhz DDR? Granted with both of them there it will still be 333mhz but there are chances that i can use the pc3200 in an upgrade in the future... unless it is better for the present configuration (stability wise) to stick with pc2700...

what would you do?

By the way, what is the best up-to-date combination of memory speed and processor possible with his board? (in essence, how fast will it become obsolete -if not already?)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd get PC3200. You know even if it's a bit edgy at full PC3200 speed, it's going to be completely stable at PC2700 speed.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Xrtaea

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
Thank you, that was really fast :)

Any ideas on up to which CPU i can (and SHOULD) use if i go with only pc3200 on this board?

TRENDING THREADS