Can't logoff/restart/shutdown

I just updated my video card driver, and I noticed this problem.
I can't logoff, restart or shutdown by using the start menu or task manager.
This problem also happens when a program tries to restart the computer.
When I tell it to restart, the screen and windows flash like they're about to
close, but nothing happens and Windows works like normal. The only way I
found around this is to use fast user switching to get to the welcome screen
and use the restart/shutdown button there.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm using XP Pro SP2, and have an ATI
Mobility 9700 video card (driver 6.14.10.6542, dated 5/12/2005) if this
helps. Thank you

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

asjss1186 wrote:
> I just updated my video card driver, and I noticed this problem.
> I can't logoff, restart or shutdown by using the start menu or task manager.
> This problem also happens when a program tries to restart the computer.
> When I tell it to restart, the screen and windows flash like they're about to
> close, but nothing happens and Windows works like normal. The only way I
> found around this is to use fast user switching to get to the welcome screen
> and use the restart/shutdown button there.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm using XP Pro SP2, and have an ATI
> Mobility 9700 video card (driver 6.14.10.6542, dated 5/12/2005) if this
> helps. Thank you

Where did you get the driver update? If from windows update, don't get
them from there. Any driver updates should be obtained from the device
manufacturer's web site if it's a retail device or from the computer
manufacturer's web site if it's OEM equipment. Use the driver rollback
feature from device manager. Right click My Computer, choose
Properties, hardware tab, device manager. Expand the display adapters
section, double click the adapter, choose the driver tab, then Roll Back
Driver.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

"asjss1186" <asjss1186@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just updated my video card driver, and I noticed this problem.
> I can't logoff, restart or shutdown by using the start menu or task
> manager.
> This problem also happens when a program tries to restart the computer.
> When I tell it to restart, the screen and windows flash like they're about
> close, but nothing happens and Windows works like normal. The only way I
> found around this is to use fast user switching to get to the welcome
> screen
> and use the restart/shutdown button there.
>
> Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm using XP Pro SP2, and have an ATI
> Mobility 9700 video card (driver 6.14.10.6542, dated 5/12/2005) if this
> helps. Thank you

Try rolling back your graphics driver
winkey+pause/break > hardware tab >device manager > display adapter >
r/click your device > properties > driver tab.

rgds
Li'l Roberto