Can SimTower be made to work in WinXp?

I found an old copy of SimTower but can't make it work on my latest PC. Are
there any fixes?

TIA
Stuart Reed
3 answers Last reply
More about simtower made work winxp

    Hi Stuart,

    Try installing and playing that using 95/98 Compatibility mode.

    To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
    down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
    to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:

    To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
    first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create shortcut).

    1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
    2.. Click on Properties.
    3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of these:
    a.. Windows 95
    b.. Windows 98
    c.. Windows NT 4
    d.. Windows 2000
    5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is best:
    a.. Run in 256 colors.
    b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
    c.. Disable visual themes.

    Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.

    Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that game.
    A good place to find them is: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can click the
    link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program compatibility",
    or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc112202/WC112202.ppt

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Stuart Reed" <sr@stureed.co.uk> wrote in message news:l7DKd.579$te7.453@newsfe1-win.ntli.net...
    >I found an old copy of SimTower but can't make it work on my latest PC. Are
    > there any fixes?
    >
    > TIA
    > Stuart Reed

    Thanks for the very full reply. I have quite a few old programs that might
    work now!

    Cheers
    Stuart

    "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
    > Hi Stuart,
    >
    > Try installing and playing that using 95/98 Compatibility mode.
    >
    > To install a program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode, hold
    > down SHIFT as you insert the game CD, use My Computer to browse
    > to the setup program, and then skip down to step 1 in the list below:
    >
    > To run an installed program using Windows XP's Compatibility Mode,
    > first right click the program and "Send To..." / Desktop (create
    shortcut).

    > 1.. Right click on the shortcut to the program.
    > 2.. Click on Properties.
    > 3.. Click on the Compatibility tab.
    > 4.. Click on Run this program in compatibility mode and select one of
    these:
    > a.. Windows 95
    > b.. Windows 98
    > c.. Windows NT 4
    > d.. Windows 2000
    > 5.. Under Display settings, check mark the mode that you think that is
    best:
    > a.. Run in 256 colors.
    > b.. Run in 640 X 480 screen resolution.
    > c.. Disable visual themes.
    >
    > Click on Apply.Click on Ok.Double click on the program.
    >
    > Of course, let's not forget to check for any patches or updates for that
    game.
    > A good place to find them is:
    www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a

    > If you'd like to learn more information about compatibility mode, you can
    click the
    > link in the Compatibility tab that reads "Learn more about program
    compatibility",
    > or watch this Application Compatibility Power Point Presentation:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/servicedesks/webcasts/wc112202/WC112202.ppt
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call /
    Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    rights.

    > "Stuart Reed" <sr@stureed.co.uk> wrote in message
    > >I found an old copy of SimTower but can't make it work on my latest PC.
    Are
    > > there any fixes?
    > >
    > > TIA
    > > Stuart Reed

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    My Pleasure Stuart! :-)

    Cheers,
    Jimmy.

Games Microsoft Video Games