Help with DVD drive that isn't working right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MaxAmpscom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Ok My company bought me a laptop last summer. And since then the Vista system sufferd one crash, so I did a clean sweep and reloaded everything again. Now my DVD Drive/ Burner is acting goofy. It will play Program disks, And it played a CD-R. I tried a cd-rw and a regular DVD along with a DVD+RW and it won't run any of those three it just keeps trying to cycle them off. Now I'm under warranty but I'm trying to save my self the hassle of trying to back up a system that will not let me burn a dvd or cd. Also they said I will be without my laptop for 3 to 4 weeks. This is the worst news I have heard all year I use this thing everyday all day long for work. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I'd rather try to get it going myself than to be with out it for a month. I'm running Vista Home basic with a gig and a half and core duo proccessors.

Thanks,

Jason

Have you tried installing the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website for it? If not, try pulling it out and re-seating it.

I'm surprised that the manufacturer won't let you install a new one yourself. I know that Dell gives you the option of sending the unit in or doing it yourself and mailing back the defective part.

Jason MaxAmpscom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2008
Everex's BS website doesn't have any drivers listed for it. I tried to update the drivers and got nothing new. If I pop the case the last 6 months of my warranty gets voided so that option is out. I asked them to send me the drive and I would put it in myself but the guy basically acted like I was trying to scam them. This will be the last EVEREX product I ever use. The customer service has been useless sofar. I'm gonna hit the Drive manufacturers site and see what I can find there.

Thanks,

Jason

Status
Not open for further replies.