Sign in with
Your question

HELP!! RAID 1 Problem after New Windows Install

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2004 1:35:07 AM

I just finished intalling Windows XP Pro and I cannot access the data that was stored on my RAID 1 disks!! I installed the Promise driver and all I can see now is an unpartitioned space corresponding to my 2 mirrored drives.

I have an Asus P4PE Motherboard with an integrated Promise SATA Raid 0/1 controller. All my data was residing on the 2 mirrored drive that stayed untouched in the process and I formatted and installed Windows on a 3rd ATA 133 drive hooked up to the IDE channel 0.

Is there something I can do 5to recover my data? Should I delete and rebuilt the array?

Help!!

Jay
February 12, 2004 6:58:32 AM

Hm. thats strange! You didn't by accident format the wrong drive did you? I can think of nothing else that can cause the data to vanish.
If windows is able to see the RAID array, I don't think you have an issue with drivers etc.
Perhaps you can recover some data using an un-delete recovery program like e.g. <A HREF="http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm" target="_new">GetDataBack</A>

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
February 12, 2004 7:32:21 AM

I am definitively sure that I did not reformat the mirrored drive.

Is there any risks of loosing the data if I delete the array and redefine it as a raid 1 (but then, if both disks are not the same, I guess I risk loosing data on one of the two, right?

What if I redefine the array as a raid 0 (stripped) with only 1 of the 2 disks?

Thnaks

Jay
Related resources
February 12, 2004 7:42:33 AM

Quote:
Is there any risks of loosing the data if I delete the array and redefine it as a raid 1 (but then, if both disks are not the same, I guess I risk loosing data on one of the two, right?

Your data is allready lost. Messing around with the array setup will probably only make it worse. The best option you have is some recovery software.
It's a bit unusual to make a RAID array across different type/size disks. It's not prohibited and doesn't cause any problems. Although if they are not the same size you'll loose some capacity on the largest drive.

Quote:
What if I redefine the array as a raid 0 (stripped) with only 1 of the 2 disks?

RAID 0 requires two disks (read the RAID FAQ). Changing the RAID level will definitely cause all the data to be lost for good!

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
February 12, 2004 7:45:30 AM

Do you know of any good data recovery SW i could use?

Thanks
February 12, 2004 7:47:12 AM

Read my first reply. I have used GDB before with excellent results.

February 12, 2004 8:42:22 AM

Thanks HammerBot,

I just installed the GBD application and i am running it now. It has has identified 15K files out of 40K so far.... on the disk, still 25 minutes to go.

I'll keep you posted,

Cheers

Jay
February 13, 2004 7:07:07 PM

If you have any difficulties with that software, I've had success with R-Studio from R-Labs. I believe it can scan raid, but with a raid-1 that's probably not very important anyway because it stores the information just about the same as a single disk.
!