Notion Ink Adam

Tags:
  • Android
  • Tablets
  • Mobile Computing
Last response: in Mobile Computing
April 4, 2010 2:30:19 PM

Hello,
I was wondering what you guys think about the Notion Ink Adam? IMO, it seems like it will be the best tablet this year. I'm in the market for a new notebook, but I was thinking about getting a tablet instead. I heard the Adam will come with a choice of Android, Chrome OS, or Ubuntu, but it seems to me that the new interface they are designing will only be for Android. Your thoughts, and any suggestions for a tablet?

More about : notion ink adam

April 7, 2010 9:01:23 PM

So, I guess I could assume that no one here thinks?
Score
April 9, 2010 2:21:35 AM

Would you prefer I just tell you're wrong because you didn't really think about it? :pfff: 

It's not even in the same league as my tablet, let alone 'best tablet this year'. :sarcastic: 
Score
April 9, 2010 7:40:06 PM

Sorry, but you sound extremely... What's the word? Oh, pretentious. :non: 
Score
April 9, 2010 9:52:21 PM

And you sound like the Android version of an Apple fanboi. [:jaydeejohn]

Reality is like the Apple fanboi you ignore the fact that it's far from the best, it's just going to be among the more popular, because that's what people buy the cheap and easy stuff, not the feature rich ones.

Don't confuse popular with good. :pouah: 
Score
May 12, 2010 11:32:25 AM

so could you share your point of view on the "best" tablet out there?
Score
May 19, 2010 4:01:54 PM

Actually, I agree that the Notion Adam is the best AFFORDABLE tablet out there and beats the Ipad easily. I almost bought an Ipad. Then I did a search on alternatives. The Adam is cheaper ($300+), multitasks, can switch between color and e-ink display, the battery lasts more than 10 times longer, has usb and sd slots, a camera, wi-fi and 3g. Sure, the Ipad is cool to play with, but the Adam is actually usable. Search Google for "notion adam review" without the quotation marks. IMHO: It appears the Ipad is simply old technology that was converted to a larger display with no concerns about what the customers really want. I am ordering an Adam as soon as the pre-orders start, since it will actually do what I need a tablet to do. You may also want to check out this link on the best of the tablets:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/22/tablet-pc-revi...

Or this link on ebook reader comparisons:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_reade...

And, in my opinion we should all try and get together and post info that helps answer each others questions rather than general statements that accomplish nothing at all. The only way we will get along is if we communicate clearly, concisely and with facts and data. Everyone has a different perspective so nothing is perfect to everyone. Since it is almost impossible to see sarcasm in emails since there is no body language, many attempts at sarcasm appear antagonistic to the reader - Thus ends constructive conversation.
Score
May 21, 2010 2:27:57 PM

Thanks for your post. I was beginning to think I missed something and the Adam was available. I am in the market for a tablet and the Adam's specs indicate that it will meet my requirements.

And to the original poster. I think the on paper specs of the Adam look great. However, paper specs and hardware realities are usually two different things. So, most people would not want to voice an opinion on something that does not exist. (Yes, I have see the prototype videos and pre-production model pictures, but these are not what will eventually be available.) My opinion on the Adam is that it is a wait and see device.
Score
May 27, 2010 6:33:20 AM

The thing to keep in mind is the Adam's price point is still up in the air, and you're likely to have to pay more for the full Pixel Qi screen (e-ink, etc). I do have very high hopes for it, though. Can't wait to try out Ubuntu on it. :D 
Score
June 3, 2010 12:59:27 AM

Okay, this is a little off topic, but, what do you guys think will be the best OS for tablets? I think Android would be the best, but I was wondering about Chrome OS and HP's newly acquired WebOS.
Score
June 3, 2010 3:14:28 PM

I think it's a toss-up between Android and Win7.

Depends on the use of the device and its capabilities.

I use all of them now and while I like the object oriented-ness of the Android platform, it's still limited overall, especially trying to use day-to-day apps or business apps, but it's very light and usable for Atom & ION-like platforms.

However I still prefer working in a full windows 7 environment if I have the option, the main issue right now is getting IHVs and ISVs to exploit the more tablet-friendly features of Win7 which currently aren't well implemented out of the box.

For weak tablets Android, for powerful tablets multi-boot (Win7, Linux and maybe Android or nicely even Hackintosh too would be my preference).
Score
June 14, 2010 4:46:54 PM

Unfortunately, it appears many companies are dropping their Win7 based tablets. And, the Nvidia Tegra processors, like the Notion Adam, had some problems, too. But, it looks pretty much set that the Notion Adam is ready to go, but won't be available until November.
Score
June 16, 2010 2:04:50 PM

Sorry, I made a mistake on the release date. The November date is kind of wrong. Some of the versions will be available in some countries late July or early August.
Score
June 17, 2010 5:50:46 PM

The only ones that really seem over the Ipad in price are over 1000$, and the Adam is only 327$ (At least right now-for the basic version). If you are going to spend that much (1000$), why not spend it on a full laptop? Or maybe those aren't the ones you are talking about, and you can clear that up for me a little bit? Are you talking about the HP slate sorta thing? They looked to have dropped Win7 which does it right about there for me if im spending that much money (I'm a poor student :lol: ). The Adam looks good for me to do VERY basic gaming, watch movies, read my books, listen to music, take vid notes in class... The HP slate is more (At least right now) and you have a 1.6GHz single core VS 1.0GHz Dual Core. It seems they are ABOUT the same in performance (Unless the core techs are more different than what i was led to believe). The HP slate also only has the SD slot... It doesn't have any USB or HDMI, and the Adam has both...

Oh and the release date for the US is the early one, when it first comes out in either July or August...

And for the OS thing, im hoping that they release Win7 for the Adam. But they won't :) . If not i just might install Windows 7 using the USB install since there are two USB ports. We'll see though...

Hope i helped somewhat, not made things more confusing...
Score
June 17, 2010 8:55:49 PM

Dual core speedy tablets have been out long before that, and for under $600 [edited used to say$60] you got Win7 full edition and way more options.

The thing is that people living inside their cnet bubble didn't go out and buy them, so now the new generation of big-phone tablets is the trend and the powerful tablets will move toward the IBM, Fujitsu, HP and Panasoni models of a convertible laptop and you will pay $1K and above for them and they will be dedicated to people who appreciate them, not the browser crowd. Everyone else will continue to the Android type platform not meant for much more than day-to-day tasks of surfing and text editing.
Score
June 18, 2010 8:14:26 PM

Yes but my opinion is if you spend 1K on a device, why not get a Desktop or an acual Laptop that will cary more punch. If you like the touch idea HP has the touch desktop... Or if you want mobility with the touch get an acual touch laptop - Tablet PC... The whole 300$ to 600$ is for people who dont want to spend too much money-and here you go, yes it will do day to day surfing, but i wanted an ebook reader that could surf the web, read books of many formats, play music, maybe get my actions done in WoW, take Vid notes in class, and play movies. I was about to get an iPad, but i looked at reviews and found this bad boy. It might not be packed with power, but it does what you want for CHEAP. So yes it will only do those things with limited power, but most people won't want to spend 1K on a small device, if they spend 1K they will buy a full featured computer. But thats just my opinion :p .
Score
June 19, 2010 2:47:28 PM

gidgiddonihah said:
Yes but my opinion is if you spend 1K on a device, why not get a Desktop or an acual Laptop that will cary more punch.

Cause I already have both and I want something more for when I'm on the couch, or when I go to the girlfriend's place, or when we go on the road skiing etc. I like my ASUS, but I wish it was a Z560 not Z520.

Quote:
If you like the touch idea HP has the touch desktop...

Which sucks as a portable computer, and really sucks as a desktop (powerless for a desktop).

Quote:
Or if you want mobility with the touch get an acual touch laptop

Why? Touch laptops are more expensive and less powerful than buying a tablet and separate more powerful Laptop.

Quote:
The whole 300$ to 600$ is for people who dont want to spend too much money-and here you go, yes it will do day to day surfing, but i wanted an ebook reader that could surf the web, read books of many formats, play music, maybe get my actions done in WoW, take Vid notes in class, and play movies.

I can do all of that with the ASUS, although who wants to play WoW... period.

There's alot more out there than just the weak options already posted, and have been for a while. As someone whose used a tablet/touch device since the age of the early Fujitsu Stylistics I'm not impressed by the iPad or it's weak competition, they're even less impressive than the Archos options from a year ago.
Score
June 21, 2010 4:39:47 AM

You can take video notes in class (And annotate them?), and not get mugged because your carrying a laptop or other expensive looking device :p ? They may be weak, but thats what is appealing to the public... They don't want a super dual core when all they want to do is sit on the couch, when you sit on your couch are you REALLY doing anything that requires that much power and punch? Are you photo editing with a touch screen with a 10-12" screen? The super powerful ones are a waste of money, because if you want power/mobility, and your going to need it then you should go with a laptop (Bigger screen, more power, bigger hard drive-Easier to do that kind of stuff)... If you don't you will be working on a VIRTUAL KEYBOARD and a 10-12" screen, what are you going to be doing with that small of a screen???? And yea the HP Touchsmart or whatever is pretty weak...

So unless your saying that there is a super powerful dual core proc tablet for 600-700$$, it just isn't going to fly, sorry :( .

I really don't like Apple, and i laugh at their big mistake labeled iPad.

And hey I like to play WoW :p .
Score
June 21, 2010 6:59:12 AM

gidgiddonihah said:
You can take video notes in class (And annotate them?), and not get mugged because your carrying a laptop or other expensive looking device :p ?

I'm no longer in school, and I didn't worry about people mugging me as I was/am a 6ft tall Hockey/Lacrosse/Rugby/Football player, never worried about that even when talking voice notes with IBM Via Voice and later Dragon Naturally speaking with my Stylistic or Thinkpads, and that was when I was one of the only people with a laptop in class. But sure, why would someone want a $500 ASUS when they could mug someone for a $1,500-2,500 MacBook Pro to sell for enough to buy 2-3 ASUSs?

Quote:
They may be weak, but thats what is appealing to the public... They don't want a super dual core when all they want to do is sit on the couch, when you sit on your couch are you REALLY doing anything that requires that much power and punch?

Ever used Flash like a 720P Youtube video? Ever tried to quickly edit a video or pick through camera shots while on the road?
If you want to leave the image in original format and not have to compromise by converting them first, it's nice to have a powerful enough processor.

Quote:
Are you photo editing with a touch screen with a 10-12" screen?

Yes, I ques you've never used a Wacom tablet so wouldn't appreciate why that's appealing having a good tablet with 256-1024 levels of pressure sensitivity (BTW you can't do that with a capacitive screen).

Quote:
The super powerful ones are a waste of money, because if you want power/mobility, and your going to need it then you should go with a laptop (Bigger screen, more power, bigger hard drive-Easier to do that kind of stuff)... If you don't you will be working on a VIRTUAL KEYBOARD and a 10-12" screen, what are you going to be doing with that small of a screen???? And yea the HP Touchsmart or whatever is pretty weak...

You don't know what you're talking about. Especially with regards to the more powerful ones, especially with regards to hard drive (they use the same bay and have the same external options :pt1cable:  ) and virtual keyboard which you don't have to go with (even on the iPad) nor their power.

Seriously, have you ever used any of these option? Have you ever been a mobile user at all, or do you just transport your mobile device from one plug to another? Either way it's obvious that your experience is very limited.

Quote:
So unless your saying that there is a super powerful dual core proc tablet for 600-700$$, it just isn't going to fly, sorry.

What do I care what you think flies, you obviously have little knowledge or experience in the matter and your ignorance proves the only thing I was trying to convey to others which was that your statements are myopic and of little merit. :pfff: 
It's those type of misconceptions that keep people from searching out the true alternatives simply because people like you see only one or the other, in the same way as people are ignorant about powerful laptops anddesktop replacements, as if no one would/should want those, just get a desktop. :mouais: 

I'm not for/against the iPad or Apple, it's nice but not for me [it's a giant iPod for my use], but I already have bought and setup one for my parents, and work with two in the office for testing, and put it up against the other devices I test which include dual core and single core - dual thread options for under $700 US, plus the more powerful/expensive options like the Panasonic C1 we just got to add to our Model 19.
I'm not for/against the Notion inK Adam either, but the options aren't limited to just those two or even just that class of product, and haven't been for a long time thanks to people like Fujitsu always pushing the envelope.
Score
June 21, 2010 5:00:59 PM

I was not aware that the expensive ones had standard bays for HDD's so thank you for giving me more information in that area :) ... All i was trying to say was I didn't want to spend 1K (And most standard consumers) on that small of a device when i could get the same power (Or more) with a bigger screen. I get that they can have the same power, but i really do like the bigger screen. I wasn't trying to convey anything rather I was trying to give my opinion (Sorry if it mislead anyone :p ).

Ok lol if you don't have to worry about getting mugged, that's alright, but im a little shrimp, a whole 5'2" [Edited because it originally said 5"2'] :lol: . So I'm going to be at least a little worried about getting mugged. :lol: 

And what i meant when i said it won't fly is that the standard consumer won't want to spend 1k on a device like this.

So you will pay 1K (1K might not sound like a lot to some people, but as a poor student...) for mobility? (Ok, so its like a laptop in power but smaller... I really like my bigger screen-Maybe when i get out of school i can look at 1K devices with the smaller screen because i won't be writing my bazillion page essays) But hey, this is just my opinion... And yes i have several mobile devices at home, and no i don't go around plug to plug. That would defeat the purpose of a laptop or any other mobile device that i own :lol: .

OK in your expertise, what is a good tablet (Not a netbook) for 300-600$? I've been looking and researching for months, and i don't want to spend 1K, 1.) I don't have 1K to spend on this kind of thing and 2.) I don't want to spend that much even if i had that much (Unless i was a multi-millionaire... :lol: ) :p .

Thank You for a very educational conversation! :lol:  I apologize for any misunderstandings...
Score
June 21, 2010 5:15:13 PM

I love the sports too :) .
Score
June 21, 2010 5:45:04 PM

I understand, just remember though it's a very big market, and hopefully it grows, I've been in it for a while, and so I really want it to take off because I want a powerful desktop replacement and then a powerful enough tablet. I love my ASUS and it would probably meet 90% of your needs (minus WoW and the camera is mediocre) and was $500 (plus $50 extended 3yr warranty), so it would be a better option than the iPad and Notion ink, but 10" model EePC T101MT is the way to go if they launch it stateside, as the N450 offers a bit more speed. The main issue is some of the best products have been delayed.

My T91MT is nice, but needs the full 2GB I added in order to be zippy. It's still a little sluggish versus a laptop or desktop, or the tablets at work, but it does far more than the iPad and it's competitors, however the T101MT gives you the standard HDD bay (the T91MT is a fast SSD which I replaced with an even faster and bigger Sandisk one [cost only $150 for 64GB 200MB/s]).

HOWEVER, if you don't need it until school time, I would wait, because there are a ton coming from both the Win7 and Android platform, there is a nice D520/525 ATOM based model I saw in the Computex coverage that looks to be very powerful and affordable (although may brush on the higher side of $600). But like I said there is SO much more coming, which is another reason I take exception at the premise of the OP's post, the best is yet to come, hopefully they don't get pushed back or aside while everyone focuses on a me-too product to compete with the iPad which is weak as someone's primary device IMO.

I think by the end of the summer, just in time for school you will see alot of new gear, and also keep an eye on deals for even the HP. I saw them selling old stock for $699 CDN last year at our Best Buy owned Future Shops (we also have Best Buys, but they didn't have the same price).

I you need something now, it's more limited, but if you can wait until the end of summer there should be much more selection.
Score
June 21, 2010 6:07:12 PM

So did you like the iPad when you played around with it? Im not thinking of buying one, im just curious...
Score
June 21, 2010 9:12:09 PM

Yea i was going to wait about Mid-August before i did anything... So ill wait and see whats out there.. :) 
Score
June 21, 2010 9:19:35 PM

Yeah it's a really nice big iPod, which I've also like since I had my first hacked one. But I like my Archos player and ASUS tablet better (still use my iPod for skiing though and the Archos for the Car).
I love that for my mom the iPad is all she needs to surf, play games and see my sister and my's web updates (facebook etc.), and it's good for someone who doesn't want a true computer (like most Apple products, it's a fantastic appliance-like tech product, easy to use and nearly cutting-edge). As you can see in my case I'm pretty device/mfr Agnostic (need to be in my job) and I like the iPad for people who want something convenient and easy to use with low hassle and low computing needs, it's not for me, but there's a ton of people I recommend it too, just like I do other Apple products.
Score
June 22, 2010 2:15:46 AM

Ok :p  just seeing someone's opinion (Not a reviewer :lol: ).
Score
June 23, 2010 3:20:26 PM

I actually need one for an ebook reader, a tool to access email when out of town, and since I am a photographer, a tool to quickly view/edit pics and show my portfolio. I like the idea of the Adam because I can expand the memory with Sd or flash drives. This means I have more than enough room to carry photo portfolios. Plus the great battery life. I am finding that when I travel neither my laptop nor my netbook have the battery life to be usable for even a short distance flight. I am sick of sitting on the floor by whatever outlet I can find in airport terminals. Plus, the laptop adds way too much weight to my backpack when I am carrying my photo gear. The Adam is better than the alternatives because of the battery life, screen size, various options, SD card slot, USB and, obviously, the price. IMHO: It appears the Win7 platform is being dropped by almost every manufacturer because of it is unreliable, sluggish and awkward - And is pretty much obsolete for tablets.
Score
June 23, 2010 4:27:39 PM

Using Win7 Premium on my tablet, I can tell you it's not sluggish or awkward, it's being dropped because it has a cost while Android/Chromium and Linux do not, it's not because it can't be made to use the interface well you just need the right plug-ins and need to know how to use the new features of Win7.

I like that mine also has 2 SD slots, one for HDD expansion and one for day to day photo loading/editing.

The nice new trend is on the updated models they support SDXC (would be nice if the Adam is SDXC but haven't heard that yet), which will be sweet going into the future considering my new DSLR supports it, and I think the replacement G12 will likely support it too.
Score
June 28, 2010 10:48:30 PM

I'll have to check out that Notion Ink Adam because it sounds interesting. I've been looking for a suitable tablet or tablet PC for about a month now - something that would be suitable for drawing with Corel Painter but all I can seem to find are really expensive devices like $3000 Fujitsu tablet PCs and the Wacom Cintiq. I'm looking for a less expensive option that has a screen for direct drawing but so far I've come up with nothing. I'm just not rich enough for the better toys apparently. :ange: 

My dream machine:

Score
August 2, 2010 3:07:54 PM

Well, I gave up waiting for the Adam. After reading the blogs and the problems they and other tablet manufacturers have been having I decided to buy a nook. A combination of the nook and my laptop should last me a couple years. After that time I can consider the next gen tablets - After the bugs are worked out of the current ones being rushed to market. For me the tablets are just a part of the solution - Ebook reader and to show pics to potential customers. I would still need the processor speed and hard drive space of a laptop on worksites (pro photog). None of the tablets out now or planned will do everything I need.
Score
August 18, 2010 1:21:00 PM

Well, it looks like I made a good decision. Notion announced that the Adam's FCC compliance check won't be until November. This means Nov-Jan release? Also, the price went up to $400. This puts it out of the ballpark for me since it's uses are fairly limited as far as I am concerned.
Score
November 5, 2010 2:41:07 AM

Depending on price...

BTW did you look to see how old the thread was?
Score
November 5, 2010 2:47:37 AM

no and how old is it? and i idc any way fine then lets close it down
old thread closed thread
Score
a b Ë Android
November 5, 2010 7:25:42 AM

This topic has been closed by Buwish
Score
!