Sign in with
Your question

seagate SATA 80GB noise

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2004 1:36:36 AM

I just bought a Seagate 80GB SATA HD(ST380013AS)
,after 2 days using it, I find the new HD has a noise ,its not very loud but the noise is obvious louder than my old WD 80 7200rmp HD, so is it normal? should I take it back and change it?
February 12, 2004 6:52:11 AM

I have no experiences with this drive, but I don't think its a drive problem. Further I doubt you'll be able to RMA it simply because is makes more noise than the WD.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>
February 12, 2004 7:54:36 AM

Is this noise present all the time? Im using 2 seagate drives and together they are still quieter that my WD drive when idle.

[Insert witty comment here]
Related resources
February 14, 2004 3:44:52 PM

Could just be a loud ground strap (the thing that rubs on the platter/spindle to get rid of the static charges). Could just be that it needs to be lubricated or something, but I wouldn't have the foggiest idea how to do that and I wouldn't suggest that you do it yourself.

------------
Apples are good.
February 15, 2004 10:23:25 PM

Seagate drives seem to vibrate more than others. If you have a steel case, perhaps the vibrations are reverberating off structures inside the case. Try tightening the screws that hold the drive in. Sometimes they loosen which may create the noise.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.
!