Upgrade 95 to 98 with Xp installed

June 16, 2005 10:12:03 PM

Alrighty now.

I have two hard drives in my computer, one with XP-home installed, the other
with windows 95b installed.

What I want to do is upgrade 95 to 98, but when I tried from 95, an error
message came up saying "there is an O.S. installed that cannot be upgraded"
or something to that same effect.

What can I do to upgrade 95 to 98?

More about : upgrade installed

Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:18:25 AM

Is your version of 98 and OEM version? If so you will have to make a rather
simple hack
Boot to Windows 95 and do a search in C:\Windows for a file called Win.com
Change the name to Win.old
Now try the upgrade.

If you can't rename Win.com that way you can boot with a Windows 98 Start-up
floppy then change to the location of the C:\Windows directory like this.
From the A:> prompt type C: and press Enter. That will put you into C drive.
At the C:> prompt type the following CD WINDOWS and press Enter. That will
put you into C:\Windows. Next type the following REN WIN.COM WIN.OLD and
press the Enter key. That will rename the file.

Now try your upgrade. The Windows 98 OEM disk shouldn't find a previous OS
and continue as normal.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Heliostrapolis" <Heliostrapolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alrighty now.
>
> I have two hard drives in my computer, one with XP-home installed, the
> other
> with windows 95b installed.
>
> What I want to do is upgrade 95 to 98, but when I tried from 95, an error
> message came up saying "there is an O.S. installed that cannot be
> upgraded"
> or something to that same effect.
>
> What can I do to upgrade 95 to 98?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 12:52:50 AM

You need "Retail Upgrade Version" of Windows 98 in order
to upgrade over Windows 95.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Heliostrapolis" wrote:

| Alrighty now.
|
| I have two hard drives in my computer, one with XP-home installed, the other
| with windows 95b installed.
|
| What I want to do is upgrade 95 to 98, but when I tried from 95, an error
| message came up saying "there is an O.S. installed that cannot be upgraded"
| or something to that same effect.
|
| What can I do to upgrade 95 to 98?
June 17, 2005 12:55:28 AM

"Heliostrapolis" wrote:

| Alrighty now.
|
| I have two hard drives in my computer, one with XP-home installed, the other
| with windows 95b installed.
|
| What I want to do is upgrade 95 to 98, but when I tried from 95, an error
| message came up saying "there is an O.S. installed that cannot be upgraded"
| or something to that same effect.
|
| What can I do to upgrade 95 to 98?
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:22:34 PM

"Heliostrapolis" <Heliostrapolis@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Alrighty now.
>
> I have two hard drives in my computer, one with XP-home installed, the
> other
> with windows 95b installed.
>
> What I want to do is upgrade 95 to 98, but when I tried from 95, an error
> message came up saying "there is an O.S. installed that cannot be
> upgraded"
> or something to that same effect.
>
> What can I do to upgrade 95 to 98?

Are you using the upgrade version of win98 ?

rgds
Li'l Roberto
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:44:02 PM

This is assuming C: is my windows XP drive, right?
I change the win.com for windows xp to win.old, not the one for 95?

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> Is your version of 98 and OEM version? If so you will have to make a rather
> simple hack
> Boot to Windows 95 and do a search in C:\Windows for a file called Win.com
> Change the name to Win.old
> Now try the upgrade.
>
> If you can't rename Win.com that way you can boot with a Windows 98 Start-up
> floppy then change to the location of the C:\Windows directory like this.
> From the A:> prompt type C: and press Enter. That will put you into C drive.
> At the C:> prompt type the following CD WINDOWS and press Enter. That will
> put you into C:\Windows. Next type the following REN WIN.COM WIN.OLD and
> press the Enter key. That will rename the file.
>
> Now try your upgrade. The Windows 98 OEM disk shouldn't find a previous OS
> and continue as normal.
>
> --
>
> Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
> www.webtree.ca/windowsxp
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 8:18:01 PM

"Harry Ohrn" wrote:

> Is your version of 98 and OEM version? If so you will have to make a rather
> simple hack
> Boot to Windows 95 and do a search in C:\Windows for a file called Win.com
> Change the name to Win.old
> Now try the upgrade.

No dice.
I renamed the file and tried the upgrade. I still got the same error method.
!