frequent disconnection...

I am using MN-500 router for a network of two coputers:
Desktop, base station, and Laptop.
While using internet connection on Laptop.
It get disconnected from the internet line in every 5 minutes
and needs to get connected manually.

I need your advise on the problem. Thanks

Disable 802.11x on the wireless properties of the laptop.

Happens to me as well, all the time. Two additional
questions:

1. How do I disable 802.11x on my laptop?
2. I need to connect at work and other places using my
build-in wireless on a Toshiba Tablet laptop - will the
disabling cause me problems there?

Thanks

H.

Mary

Network properties>authentication tab>uncheck IEEE

802.11x is only used for certain types of 802.11g (the
700 series of devices) and not 802.11b (the 500 series).

You will need it at work if they use a 802.11x
authentication server -- you need to ask the admin, or...
disable it and if it does not work, reenable it back ^_^

I had this same issue when I moved and got Comcast.
Apparently, their cable modems use a frequency of 2.4Ghz
just as the MS router, so there could be conflicts. They
advised me to make sure the two are at least 3 feet a
part. Well, that worked like a charm, I haven't had poor
performance or disconnects since.

-MP

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

try right-clicking on the wireless connection indicator
on the lower right hand corner of your task bar. left
click to open "view available wireless connections" in
the "wirelss network connection" pop-up box. uncheck the
box to the left of "enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for
this network. there should be no check mark in the box.
there is actually a section in in the troubleshooting
section for microsoft broadband networking. best of luck

tom

phoenix,AZ

MP, this is not true. I have a lab bench filled with regular Comcast
cable modems and 802.11b/g wireless routers. Comcast DOES have some
wireless and modem integrated homenetworking gateway devices that
include 802.11 . Do you have one of these? Which Comcast modem (model
number) do you have?

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:36:55 -0700, "MP"

--
Barb Bowman