Sign in with
Your question

Why all coasters when trying to burn DVD's?

Last response: in Storage
February 12, 2004 8:07:09 PM

I am using a Lite On 411s DVD -\+ burner and have tried about 8 programs to burn, but can't burn a DVD? Pinnacle Instant CD/DVD, Nero 6, DVD shrink/Copy, Pinnacle Expression, Nero Impression...the list goes on.
The drive works fine, reads and writes cd's without any errors, I've done the firmware update, no effect.
Is there something I am overlooking? I don't understand the TS video/audio either on Pinnacle.
Is there an easier way to do this? I am at my wits end. Any type of solution would greatly be apprecitated...I have it, now I want to use it.

Thanks,

Gem

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/04/04 07:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

More about : coasters burn dvd

February 13, 2004 2:59:27 AM

First of all Explain more on WHAT AND HOW you are doing it....... #1 what DVD are you trying to BURN or "BACKUP" lol...... there ARE some that you will have a problem with example for some reason RADIO had some troubles, but Shrink did it for some reason on the 3rd Try!!

Anyway....... Open Shrink, load your disc in..... Click OPEN disc...... it analyzes it, and then you will see the screen fill up with all the chapters!....... on the right panel it should be set to AUTO, it will auto compress it right for you!....... then you click the BACKUP! button................. tell it a folder to get ripped to........ now you have a perfect ripped dvd........ now use something like sonicMYDVD which came with your player! and i might add i use it and i think it works mint!............. open that program and click create music or data disc... then click create music or data disc again, and then i X out the wizzard...... and then click DATA icon at the top, add the VIDEO and AUDIO_TS folders and click the red DOT...... that's it you just made a dvd.................. if you still have a problem, ... then maybe your the problem!!! lol only kiddin..

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
February 13, 2004 3:17:02 PM

Actually, I'm trying to convert mpg's and avi's to DVD from my HD. I've made VCD's a million times with no coasters, but cannot get one single program to make a DVD-R out of mpg and avi files. I've tried Nero, NeroVision, Shrink, Pinnacle, a few prog's from 3-2-1 Studios... the whole gambit, and nothing seems to do the job. Am I just missing some detail? There HAS to be a way to convert avi and mpg file types to DVD format, the same as VCD's. It can't be THAT much different, can it??

BTW, I have not even started to make "back-ups" until I can make DVD's with about 25GB of movie files (avi and mpg) on my HD. I desperately need to clear these off, and DVD is the only way I wish to go about this due to the size of the files (as large as 2.5+ GB!). The 99 min CD-R's are not cutting it. I have purchased the Lite-On to use it for this purpose, not to have it serve as a paperweight. Tried Sonic MyDVD which came with it, only to get runtime errors that my friend does not get on his system, which makes no sense... Any suggestions are welcome at this point, before I start pulling my hair out!

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can offer.
BTW, I'm using TDK DVD-R 4x media, which is suppose to be the best.

System Specs:
Case: Antec 1040B
MoBo: Asus A7N8X-X
CPU: AMD Athlon 2800+ barton
Mem: 512 DDR Corsair
HD's: Maxtor 120GB 8MB cache (#1)
Maxtor 80GB 2MB cache (#2) (I always use Maxtor)
CDRW: Asus 5224a 52x24x52 -- never had a problem
DVD+/-RW: Lite-On 411S (makes CD's and VCDs, YET to make a DVD)
Sound: Audigy Platinum
Video: MSI 5600 ViVo VTDR 128DDR

Gem

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 02/13/04 12:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
February 13, 2004 3:18:15 PM

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 02/13/04 12:20 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
February 17, 2004 1:34:45 PM

You're right, it is not that complicated.
So you get run-time errors using Sonic. That should give a clue: what errors? At what point in Nero, Pinnacle or whatever are you stuck? What does the Nero logfile say?

BTW did you try DVD+R disks?
February 17, 2004 5:31:22 PM

Lunitic,

I am using DVD-R(TDK), the issue is that there are soo many formats to record in. I have tried a few and they don't work in the DVD rom or the DVD player. That's where I am getting stuck, which format am I suppose to record them in?
All the programs give plenty of options, no log files as far as I know. really puzzled at this point...and not getting any happier. I haven't found anything online that states which format, I think that is the entire problem.

Thanks,

Gem

Trying to get there, but seems to be no shortcut!
February 18, 2004 12:46:23 AM

Did you load all the required software that came with the burner?

Does the burner have Buffer Underun protection?

If it has buffer underun protection, is it enabled?

Your initial burner software, should somewhere have an options, or configuration tab, in there you should have an option to increase the shared system memory thats used for the burning process, max out the shared system memory usage, and click apply to save the setting, it will probably only go to 32Mb, so that shouldn't be a problem for your system.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
February 21, 2004 7:54:43 PM

Ok, I have made 11 DVD coasters now...not a happy camper. I can make VCD up the ying yang, but can't make a DVD to record properly without getting an error. I thought this was easy?
I am still using a 411s LiteOn DVD+\-rw/cdrw, the firmware is up to date. I can record VCD's easy without an issue. I have been trying all diferent programs, Pinnacle, Nero, Gear Pro..you name it.
I am using TDK DVD-R's and this is not a cheap problem. The 411S will write the DVD then I get this error every single time...what am I doing wrong?

6:44:55 PM #877 CDR -1046 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1620
Illegal disc

6:44:55 PM #878 TRANSFER -24 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1620
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

6:44:55 PM #879 Phase 38 File APIProgress.cpp, Line 235
Burn process failed at 2x (2,760 KB/s)

Existing drivers:
File 'Drivers\CDR4_2K.SYS': Ver=5.3.2.31, size=58000 bytes, created 12/16/2003 7:48:03 PM
File 'Drivers\CDRALW2K.SYS': Ver=5.3.2.31, size=23420 bytes, created 12/16/2003 7:48:03 PM
File 'Drivers\PXHELP20.SYS': Ver=2.02.51a, size=17136 bytes, created 2/13/2004 1:22:53 AM (Prassi/Veritas driver for win 2K)

Registry Keys:
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WinLogon\AllocateCDROMs : 0 (Security Option)

I am endcoding the video's via Nero Impression 2 then burn it to the DVD-\+RW...same error everytime. Is there another way to have a DVD actually record? I choose the DVD (UDF) for the recording...is this correct?

HELP......I have been trying to get help on this issue for awhile now..no exact answers given. PLEASE let me know what I am doing wrong...it is EXTREMELY appreciated.

Gem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by geminiguy on 03/04/04 07:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
March 25, 2004 11:23:01 PM

Ryan,

I offically made my 1st REAL DVD tonight! YAY! Man, thanks alot for all your guidance and perseverence with me. I now have a new toy to play with and am going to need alot of media to burn all these movies off my HD.
RYAN ROCKS!! He be da man! KUDOS to you, especially since you were the ONLY person in the forum to take the time out of their day and explain how to do it step by step.

May your future be as bountiful as your generosity :) 

Again, thanks man.

GEM

Equal is equal, or is it?
March 26, 2004 2:46:12 AM

Cool Dude, I wondered what happened to you, thought you'd dropped off the planet, speaking of dropping off the planet, or should I say dropping on the planet, I don't know if you're a SCI FI fan or not, but in August 2004 Twentieth Century Fox, is releasing the Aliens Predator Movie, if you're an Aliens Predator fan, <A HREF="http://www.avp-movie.com/" target="_new">Check It Out</A>

Catch you later!!! Ryan

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=25..." target="_new">My Rig</A>
March 29, 2004 6:05:57 AM

first of all before wasiting more why don't you use your head and start using Rw's so you stop wasting man......your just wasting money

buy a rw or 2 and practice on those.......... what are you burning a vcd of? a downloaded movie? if yes i wouldn't even waste my time on that low quality crap just go to blockbuster and create an exact copy of that disc.........

also are you choseing the write burn methods and file formats....... i don't know nero so i don't know i like record now the wizard walks you right through ........

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
!