WD HDDs like CS jumpers don't they...

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
On an NF7 my 80BG WD HDD was set to master, and the entire computer was SLOW... and Windown XP could/would not iinstall... some disk error... but then I moved the jumper back to CS... the way it came... and BOOM, the computer was fast...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Did you have a slave drive? WD doesn't work right when you set a single drive to master, you have to set it to either "single" (with no jumper or the jumper in an inactive location) or "CS".

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
i too had some questions about something like at

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=96034#96034" target="_new">thread</A>

not sure if anything will be answered for you there...

But crashman thanks... that might be why my friends puter was so messed up.

<b><A HREF="http://www.1112.net/lastpage.html" target="_new">Finally...the LAST PAGE</A></b>
ASUS P4S8X-P4 2.4B - 2x512M DDR333 - ATI 9500Pro - WD80G HD(8M) - SAMSUNG SV0844D 8G HD - LG 16X DVD - Yamaha F1 CDRW

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
no slave on that ide... I changed it to CS, and BOOM!, it rocked... but it was very slow before... the entire computer was slow...

I amm glad I figured it out fairly quickly... it make me feel like I am getting better at this @#$#... 2 years ago, I spant all night figuring out that a certain Compaq bios would only read HDDs set at CS...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

sturm

Splendid
I had the same thing on my last computer I built. Been so long since I did it that I forgot to leave the jumper off.
As far as I know its only a WD thing. Havent used anyother brand of drives.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
Unfortunately, this is true. Although the ATA standard is crisp clear, some drives just still have compatibility problems. I have seen lots of that, although mostly on older (5+ yr. old) drives. Im surprised that some manufacturers still have problems with such basic functionality. It's really quite trivial.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I already told you you didn't figure out a thing, because you still haven't figured it out. WD uses a DIFFERENT setting for Master and Single, if you set a single drive to master you're a [-peep-] up.

CS and Single should provide exactly the same performance on a single drive.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>