Windows Explorer crashes every time after boot up

Greetings,

I tried to install sp2 on a pc, which wouldn't complete. As it didn't
finish, the install rolled back to the original status. Now I can't get
the machine booted. After everything tries to load in the systray, an
error message comes up that an error has occured in Windows Explorer. I
was previously able to install a new version of AV (McAfee) and even
update the dats, however, even though it did find some viruses, the
machine won't stay booted. I can't even boot into safe mode...it seems
the obvious is to reinstall. Any other way out? Suggestions?

Malke

Chris Hall wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I tried to install sp2 on a pc, which wouldn't complete. As it didn't
> finish, the install rolled back to the original status. Now I can't get
> the machine booted. After everything tries to load in the systray, an
> error message comes up that an error has occured in Windows Explorer. I
> was previously able to install a new version of AV (McAfee) and even
> update the dats, however, even though it did find some viruses, the
> machine won't stay booted. I can't even boot into safe mode...it seems
> the obvious is to reinstall. Any other way out? Suggestions?

No. Apparently you tried to install SP2 on a machine that was infested
with viruses and probably non-viral malware. Now Windows is in an
unknown state. Format the drive and clean install Windows. Make sure you
do not connect to the Internet with the new installation until you have
a firewall and av in place. Here is a link in case you need more
information about a clean install:

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Someone

Yep. I realized my mistake after I started the sp2 install.Agh! Thanks for
the reply.
Chris