laptop recommandation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kyrotomia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Hi,
First of all, let me explain why I'm here. This week, both of my systems (a desktop and a laptop) decided to past away. My desktop's motherboard is gone and my notebook won't recognize his hard drive. I know I could get the laptop a new hard drive, but I don't want to invest on this computer since I need a replacement for my dead desktop anyways.

Considering that I'm currently studying at college and always travelling to school on the week and back at my hometown in the weekends, I think I should get a notebook as my replacement.

However, I do not know alots in the notebook world, since I always used my desktop and I never really looked news and info about laptops. So I came here looking for some model recommandation.

Here is some info about my use:
I only bring an external storage drive to school (About 120gb actually), and all my files are kept on that. Storage is not that important on my laptop.

I often use software such as Vmware (running 2 virtual machines). I would like the laptop to be able to run that.

Basically, this is my needs. Screen size is not very important, although I would like 15.4" at least. Also, the operating system is not important.

Thank you!

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
there are lots of machines that satisfy those requirements. for about $650 you could get a nice machine with a 120GB internal hard drive 2GB of RAM and a dual core processor along with Vista. running a VM with the 2GB of RAM would be a breeze as allocating 512MB to the VM is perfectly acceptable my reccomendations and I may be a little biased but newer Acer Aspires are a bargain $750CDN gets a Turion 64 X2 TL-60 3GB of RAM and a 250GB SATA HD as well as a 17 inch screen not gonna beat that at $650 you'll sacrifice screen size hard drive and 1GB of RAM however you'll gain portability in not having to lug around 6+lbs of laptop so I guess it really depends on your preference. sorry for the CDN price quotes but i'm CDN here although with our $ being equal to the US prices will be about the same

theworminator

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2006
For the basics I'd recommend, find a laptop with a Core 2 Duo processor, preferably one that's in the T7*** series at least. 2 gigs of DDR2-667 ram, along with a 7200 RPM hard drive. If you're not playing games, you won't need a good graphics card.

How much are you willing to spend?

kyrotomia

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
overclockingrocks >> Don't worry for the price, I am also from canada :). Thank for your recommandation, I am looking forward on the acer website at the moment. Could you tell me what model number you are talking about?

theworminator >> I was thinking , as a price range, something as up to 1000$. Yes, you are right, I do not need an awesome graphic card.

Thank you for your time.

My suggestions:

Model 6720-2A 17" model customized with 100 GB 7200 rpm HD and XP Pro comes to $1124
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=6720&subpage=pricetable#gotop

Model 6626-2A 15" model customized with 100 GB 7200 rpm HD and XP Pro comes to $1054
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=6626&subpage=pricetable#gotop

Both have pretty darn decent graphics cards and all the goodies you'd need

If ya really don't care about graphics performance:

Model 6625-1A 15" model customized with 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2048 MB RAM, 100 GB 7200 rpm HD and XP Pro comes to $964
http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=productdetail&model=6625&subpage=pricetable#gotop

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I didn't source my quote from the acer website in answer to your question it was sourced from staples unfortunately their sale has ended so it's back up to $899 (also configuration changed to give more HD space so it;s worth it) but that gets you

1.67Ghz T5450 Core 2 Duo
3GB DDR2
320GB HD
17 inch widescreen

model is an acer aspire 7720-6208

for the money it's an amazing machine plays everything we've thrown at it

That pairing is a little odd......1.67 and 3 GB. With XP, I'd go with a 2.xx GHz something and 2 GB
With Vista 3 GB is kinda an entry point tho.

I assume that 320 GB HD is only 5400 rpm ?

overclockingrocks

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
I have 2GB for my laptop with Vista it flies just fine 3GB is if you're going to game and the 1.67 Core 2 Duo is mighty fast I'll admit that even as a die hard AMD fan. the 320GB HD I believe is 5400rpm but I could be wrong point is for the money it's still an amazing machine for about $100 more you could get an upgrade to the 2GHz Turion X2 and an 8600GT video card which might be well worth the money only things you'd sacrifice would be a drop to a 250GB HD and 2GB of ram but more processor speed and dedicated graphics make up for it

I wasn't thinking of gaming. Just using the programs I use every day. Just bumped my wife's machine up from 1 GB to 2 GB and she's really noticed the difference in XP. The 2-3 GB in Vista is equivalent.

The biggest frustration I have with "major brand" laptops is they always short ya on something to get to that price point. Get decent, CPU, memory and Video, then it's a 5400 rpm HD. Get a 7200 rpm HD then it's a crappy video solution. That's why I prefer to "roll my own" laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.