terrencechoyo

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2004
I connect the IDE and the power, and procede to power up the machine...<SNIFF, SNIFF> What's that smell?? Holy cow, there's smoke!! And before I know it, I've burned the power cable going into the floppy! Well, after an autopsy of the cable, I noticed that I plugged it in with the left connector not connected to anything. So connecting 3 of the 4 connectors will short out the connection...
i cut out the burned section and insulate it with insulator tape.
The PSU is working fine at the moment but I am not sure if I should continue to use it.

HammerBot

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2002
By shifting the powerconnector one position you shorted the +12 or the +5V rail (depending on which way you shifted it). The reason for the short is that the two middle pins of the floppy drive are connected together (those are the ground connections).
Its most likely the +5V rail you shorted, since that can supply enough current to melt the thin power wires to the floppy.
The PSU is internally current limited in order to protect itself from shorts. Otherwise you would have fried the PSU as well. So, there is no problem continuing to use the PSU since it still works.

<i><b>Engineering is the fine art of making what you want from things you can get</b></i>