Sign in with
Your question

"Is A Crapware-free PC Worth An Extra $50?"

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
March 23, 2008 11:53:24 AM

I am just refering to this little article here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2008/03/21/is_a_crapware_fr...

For me personally I'd always wipe a new laptop clean before even booting once... All that crapware they tend to put on the machines nowadays is totally unbearable in my opinion. But paying extra not to get that ****? I am confused.
a b D Laptop
March 23, 2008 2:05:19 PM

Computer companies get paid by the "crapware" companies for every laptop they put that software on. So by not putting it on your system, they are loosing a little bit of money. The $50 they charge you is probably to cover some of the money they loose on the deal.

If you are in the habit of wiping your hard drives anyway, then no it's probably not worth it. But for the every day joe who might not know how, it might be a good option.
March 23, 2008 3:05:51 PM

Then again, an everyday joe with a cheap PC (where spending that extra 50 dollars is noticeable) has a higher chance of not caring about the lower system performance. If you're spending 2000+ dollars on a laptop though, I'd hope that there's no bloatware, because you bought that comp for the power.

Still, it's a step forward: companies notice that we hate that crapware :D 
Related resources
March 23, 2008 4:46:52 PM

Don't know about that; I think they know all too well that we don't like bloated computers. But It's a tough business and I guess you have to calculate very stringently.
I recently had to order a cheap laptop for the place I work at. It had vista preinstalled along with online interactive ad-banners right on the desktop! I could not believe my eyes, and decided to send this machine directly to the IT department so they could wipe it and install their corporate-conform XP installation. In my opinion toshiba really went to far there...
March 25, 2008 12:38:20 PM

I am sure we all can agree that bloatware is annoying at best. I think at the very least they had not even put the bloatware on higher end laptops say...anything over $1000.
It does make an impact too. I have a friend who payed too much for a Dell and it came with lots and lots of bloatware. Its sooo slow and should be much faster than what it is. Pity! I am trying to get him to let me reformat for him as he does not have much on it yet.
!