• Verizon
  • Download
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Connection
  • Product
Last response: in Network Providers
March 17, 2012 7:33:15 AM

Hello,

I'm new to this community and I've registered as I saw many helpful threads here and I'm glad to be a member of this community :) 

I've a technical question about connection speed on 2 different ISPs, The first ISP was better and there was no throttling on the exchange level as they don't support download accelerators like "internet download manager", these programs increase speed by allowing simultaneous connections to the server and when I download using more than one connection the speed drop to zero or decrease then it start to increase again and so on and the ping timing increase to 500ms with request timeouts, there was no issues in video streaming and the download speed was stable as long as I use one connection per file.

The second ISP have exchange throttling issues mos of the day as it support download accelerators and I was able to use multiple connections to the same server during the download and the speed was quite stable and the ping timing may raise up to 2500ms without any timeouts! but most of the day there is video streaming issues and I can't watch youtube videos :( 

So my question, technically what is the difference between these ISPs configurations?

Thanks in advance.

More about : technical question

March 23, 2012 5:05:53 PM

There are probably dozens of differences, the enterprise equipment they use to connect is very complex, there is no way to answer without asking the ISPs and they will probably not hand out info as to their configuration.

It's not like asking why one CPU is faster than another, they have different policies in place and probably use different equipment with many different configurations.
m
l
March 23, 2012 5:13:45 PM

Thank you for the info, I think it's a software configuration, not hardware? and I agree with you as they are not going to reveal their configuration and I consider the 1st ISP is better because there was no exchange throttling unlike the 2nd one :( 

hang-the-9 said:
There are probably dozens of differences, the enterprise equipment they use to connect is very complex, there is no way to answer without asking the ISPs and they will probably not hand out info as to their configuration.

It's not like asking why one CPU is faster than another, they have different policies in place and probably use different equipment with many different configurations.

m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2012 6:34:19 PM

Well, "better" is different that finding out the technical details behind why and how they are doing what they are doing.

Better can also be reliability, speeds offered, price, etc...
m
l
March 25, 2014 1:56:59 AM

Nice Thread.
m
l