Will I have full control over my portable HDD at home comp..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full control
over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about will full control portable home comp
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:54:11 +0400, "Dmitry Kopnichev"
    <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:

    >My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full control
    >over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
    >full control over my portable HDD at home computer?

    Well, if the account you sign on with at home isn't the creator, and
    it isn't your work account, then no, you won't have access. Add
    security for the account you use at home.

    Jeff
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    To make storage that is NTFS secured portable between systems you
    should grant access to a built-in group, like Users, Administrators, or
    Power Users. These are recognized on all Windows with NTFS.
    Grants to principals that are not pre-defined are specific to the system
    where they are defined.

    --
    Roger Abell
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    > at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full
    control
    > over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
    > full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
    > Thanks.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    I removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account at work
    "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD Security
    Properties, and access to a folder on my portable HDD became denied. How to
    regain the access to all my HDD contents?
    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    > at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full
    > control over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I
    > will have full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
    > Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply.
    How to add security for the account I use at home (account name "2" without
    a password)?
    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:54:11 +0400, "Dmitry Kopnichev"
    > <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
    >
    >>My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >>at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full
    >>control
    >>over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
    >>full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
    >
    > Well, if the account you sign on with at home isn't the creator, and
    > it isn't your work account, then no, you won't have access. Add
    > security for the account you use at home.
    >
    > Jeff
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I added "Anonymous Logon" and gave full control to it. Will this allow me
    accessing contents on home computer?
    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:54:11 +0400, "Dmitry Kopnichev"
    > <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
    >
    >>My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >>at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full
    >>control
    >>over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
    >>full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
    >
    > Well, if the account you sign on with at home isn't the creator, and
    > it isn't your work account, then no, you won't have access. Add
    > security for the account you use at home.
    >
    > Jeff
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply.
    How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
    home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
    domain.
    > To make storage that is NTFS secured portable between systems you
    > should grant access to a built-in group, like Users, Administrators, or
    > Power Users. These are recognized on all Windows with NTFS.
    > Grants to principals that are not pre-defined are specific to the system
    > where they are defined.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    >
    > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> Hello
    >> My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my
    >> account
    >> at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full
    > control
    >> over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
    >> full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
    >> Thanks.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:

    > How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at
    > my work and home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP
    > SP2 computer is in a domain.
    Hi,

    A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
    data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied. It should work fine for
    a portable drive as well.

    TrueCrypt
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

    <quote>
    Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003

    Main Features:
    * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    as a real disk.
    * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.

    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    How to add security for the account I use at home "2"? How to make my
    portable drive accessible to my account only at my work and
    home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP SP2 computer is in a
    domain.
    "Jeff Cochran" <jeff.nospam@zina.com> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:54:11 +0400, "Dmitry Kopnichev"
    > <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote:
    >
    >>My portable HDD Security Properties contain "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >>at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)". Will I have full
    >>control
    >>over my portable HDD at home computer? How to make sure that I will have
    >>full control over my portable HDD at home computer?
    >
    > Well, if the account you sign on with at home isn't the creator, and
    > it isn't your work account, then no, you won't have access. Add
    > security for the account you use at home.
    >
    > Jeff
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Do you think TrueCrypt is a reliable solution? Can't Windows XP SP2 get the
    same?
    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >
    >> How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at
    >> my work and home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP
    >> SP2 computer is in a domain.
    > Hi,
    >
    > A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
    > data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied. It should work fine for
    > a portable drive as well.
    >
    > TrueCrypt
    > http://www.truecrypt.org/
    >
    > <quote>
    > Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003
    >
    > Main Features:
    > * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    > as a real disk.
    > * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    > USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.
    >
    > </quote>

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yes, W2k and later can get the same, if you use NTFS on the drive
    and set it at the top to use encryption (setting a folder this way will
    only affect files saved later).
    You would then need to export the EFS cert and key from one
    account on one machine and add it into the other account on the
    other machine.

    --

    > Do you think TrueCrypt is a reliable solution? Can't Windows XP SP2 get
    the
    > same?
    > "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > >
    > >> How to make my portable drive accessible to my account only at
    > >> my work and home Windows XP SP2 computers? My work Windows XP
    > >> SP2 computer is in a domain.
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
    > > data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied. It should work fine for
    > > a portable drive as well.
    > >
    > > TrueCrypt
    > > http://www.truecrypt.org/
    > >
    > > <quote>
    > > Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003
    > >
    > > Main Features:
    > > * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    > > as a real disk.
    > > * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    > > USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.
    > >
    > > </quote>
    > >

    > > --
    > > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    > > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    > > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Yes, I use NTFS on the drive. How to deny access to the drive to any account
    except mine? Can I deny without the EFS? I had problems with EFS in the
    past. How to set my drive the top to use encryption?
    > Yes, W2k and later can get the same, if you use NTFS on the drive
    > and set it at the top to use encryption (setting a folder this way will
    > only affect files saved later).
    > You would then need to export the EFS cert and key from one
    > account on one machine and add it into the other account on the
    > other machine.
    >
    > --
    > Roger Abell
    > Microsoft MVP (Windows Security)
    >
    > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> Do you think TrueCrypt is a reliable solution? Can't Windows XP SP2 get
    > the
    >> same?
    >> "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message

    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > A friend of mine have tested a free product called TrueCrypt to encrypt
    >> > data on USB sticks, and he was very satisfied. It should work fine for
    >> > a portable drive as well.
    >> >
    >> > TrueCrypt
    >> > http://www.truecrypt.org/
    >> >
    >> > <quote>
    >> > Free open-source disk encryption for Windows XP/2000/2003
    >> >
    >> > Main Features:
    >> > * It can create a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mount it
    >> > as a real disk.
    >> > * It can encrypt an entire hard disk partition or a device, such as
    >> > USB memory stick, floppy disk, etc.
    >> >
    >> > </quote>
    >> >

    >> > --
    >> > torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
    >> > Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
    >> > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Security Computers Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP