Running programs from Start - Run

Hi,

If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.

I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.

For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
(www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.

Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
Start-Run for any new software which I may install.

Regards,
Hari
India

You have to type the full path plus the executable file name, unless the
program places it's location in the path statement.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

<excel_hari@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
> run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
> Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.
>
> I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
> name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.
>
> For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
> (www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
> start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.
>
> Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
> Start-Run for any new software which I may install.
>
> Regards,
> Hari
> India

Hari,

See "Application Registration" section in the following MSDN document:

"PerceivedTypes, SystemFileAssociations, and Application Registration":
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fa_perceived_types.asp

When you install a program, you need to add the "App Paths" entry for your
application in the registry, so that the user can launch the program by
typing the executable in Start, Run dialog. If the App Paths for your
application is missing, full path to the program need to be typed in Run.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

<excel_hari@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
> run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
> Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.
>
> I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
> name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.
>
> For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
> (www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
> start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.
>
> Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
> Start-Run for any new software which I may install.
>
> Regards,
> Hari
> India

If you're just trying to find the name of the exe to type, right-click the
shortcut (from Start-> Programs or wherever) and select 'Properties'.
You'll find the exe name at the end of the 'Target' line.