Running programs from Start - Run

Hi,

If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.

I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.

For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
(www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.

Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
Start-Run for any new software which I may install.

Regards,
Hari
India
3 answers Last reply
More about running programs start

    You have to type the full path plus the executable file name, unless the
    program places it's location in the path statement.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    <excel_hari@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
    > run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
    > Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.
    >
    > I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
    > name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.
    >
    > For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
    > (www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
    > start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.
    >
    > Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
    > Start-Run for any new software which I may install.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Hari
    > India

    Hari,

    See "Application Registration" section in the following MSDN document:

    "PerceivedTypes, SystemFileAssociations, and Application Registration":
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fa_perceived_types.asp

    When you install a program, you need to add the "App Paths" entry for your
    application in the registry, so that the user can launch the program by
    typing the executable in Start, Run dialog. If the App Paths for your
    application is missing, full path to the program need to be typed in Run.

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com

    <excel_hari@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
    > run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
    > Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.
    >
    > I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
    > name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.
    >
    > For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
    > (www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
    > start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.
    >
    > Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
    > Start-Run for any new software which I may install.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Hari
    > India

    If you're just trying to find the name of the exe to type, right-click the
    shortcut (from Start-> Programs or wherever) and select 'Properties'.
    You'll find the exe name at the end of the 'Target' line.

    > Hari,
    >
    > See "Application Registration" section in the following MSDN document:
    >
    > "PerceivedTypes, SystemFileAssociations, and Application Registration":
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fa_perceived_types.asp
    >
    > When you install a program, you need to add the "App Paths" entry for your
    > application in the registry, so that the user can launch the program by
    > typing the executable in Start, Run dialog. If the App Paths for your
    > application is missing, full path to the program need to be typed in Run.
    >
    > --
    > Ramesh, MS-MVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > Windows XP Troubleshooting
    > http://www.winhelponline.com
    >
    > Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
    >
    > <excel_hari@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> If I install new programs (softwares) in Windows XP Pro (SP2), how do I
    >> run them from Start->Run by typing lets' say "WinWord" for Microsoft
    >> Word, "Excel" for Microsoft Excel etc.
    >>
    >> I prefer starting softwares through Start->Run and typing the short
    >> name for the software rather than going to Start-> Programs etc.
    >>
    >> For ex let's say I have installed SPSS for Windows in my computer
    >> (www.spss.com) then what would be the word I should i be typing in
    >> start->Run in order to start a new session of SPSS.
    >>
    >> Please guide me as to how to find out the keywords to be typed in
    >> Start-Run for any new software which I may install.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >> Hari
    >> India

Windows XP