cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
I have an old Thrustmaster joystick that uses a gameport, and i purchased an Audigy soundcard (with no gameport, nor the pinouts for the bracket) So i came across another sound blaster live 5.1 with a gameport built into it, adn installed it to use the gameport and use the sound form my audigy. Unfortunately, if i leave both cards enabled so i can use the gameport, the sounds runs thru the Live by default. Under device manager, the soundcard and gameport are listed as separate devices, but if i disable only the card and leave the gamport enabled, the joystick is no longer detected.

Long story short: is it possible to use the gameport on the Live, while using the sound on the audigy?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
There's only one way to find out! Try it. I would just install the Live! then disable everything except the gameport. Then install the Audigy. Or throw them both in the garbage where they belong.

You've tried and failed. The lesson here is, never try again. -- Homer Simpson.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, I think it's a Creative driver issue. If your board doesn't have a gameport header like my P4C800-E Deluxe (sound can be disabled separately from port), consider finding another, CHEAP soundcard and disabling only the sound features in device manager.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
When i disble just sound, the gameport no longer recognizes the joystick. It instantly says "not connected" even though the "gameport device" is still enabled in device manager.

P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I once saw a port board at Wal-Mart, I think it was PCI...it's been a while.

You could always look for one of the USB legacy port boxes, I once saw one with Serial, Parallel, and Joystick ports on the same unit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah i saw those on ebay. Luckily today i was just messing around with disabling the cards in a paticular order, then re-enabling them and now i am getting sound and a usable joystick out of my setup. Dont ask me how....but it suddenly works.