Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

I am using the 'search' facility with WXP to look for files containing a
particular word. Although I have a tick in the box for 'search subfolders',
the search is failing to find the given word in plain text files which
clearly contain it. For example, I ask it to find the files containing
'the', and it finds several that contain the word but it fails to find
several other files that also contain the word.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the search facility or could
it be that I am doing something wrong?

Gerry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

the "plain text files" should have a .txt extension to be considered
"plain text" for this to work.

Gerry Wolff wrote:

> I am using the 'search' facility with WXP to look for files containing a
> particular word. Although I have a tick in the box for 'search subfolders',
> the search is failing to find the given word in plain text files which
> clearly contain it. For example, I ask it to find the files containing
> 'the', and it finds several that contain the word but it fails to find
> several other files that also contain the word.
>
> Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the search facility or could
> it be that I am doing something wrong?
>
> Gerry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;309173

Enable XP's "Search" to find text in files
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm

you may install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text strings in
*all* types of files.
http://www.agentransack.com/index.asp

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Gerry Wolff wrote:

> I am using the 'search' facility with WXP to look for files containing a
> particular word. Although I have a tick in the box for 'search subfolders',
> the search is failing to find the given word in plain text files which
> clearly contain it. For example, I ask it to find the files containing
> 'the', and it finds several that contain the word but it fails to find
> several other files that also contain the word.
>
> Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the search facility or could
> it be that I am doing something wrong?
>
> Gerry

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

Thanks!

Gerry

"S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com> wrote in message
> Using the "A word or phrase in the file" search criterion may not work
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;309173
>
> Enable XP's "Search" to find text in files
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_fix_search.htm
>
> you may install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text strings in
> *all* types of files.
> http://www.agentransack.com/index.asp
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Gerry Wolff wrote:
>
>> I am using the 'search' facility with WXP to look for files containing a
>> particular word. Although I have a tick in the box for 'search
>> subfolders', the search is failing to find the given word in plain text
>> files which clearly contain it. For example, I ask it to find the files
>> containing 'the', and it finds several that contain the word but it fails
>> to find several other files that also contain the word.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the search facility or
>> could it be that I am doing something wrong?
>>
>> Gerry

TRENDING THREADS