Windows Update Issue?

packpatfan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Ok, so I have a Toshiba and two days ago it started acting up. I would get to the Welcome screen fine, but once I got past that (logged in) it would take forever to stop saying Welcome (that twirly waiting thing spinning) then it would go to a black screen with the mouse. It starts fine in safe mode, so is this a windows update issue? Is anyone else having this problem, Toshiba or not?

Thanks!
-Packpatfan

price_th

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
It could be. Just let it finish otherwise it will keep trying and happening if you force shutdown and restart. Hard drive activity is a good indicator when this is happening. If Win 7 it will tell you when you login that updates have been done from the system tray icon popup. Wouldn't hurt to run a virus/malware scan after just to be sure.

packpatfan

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012

I ran the scan with Malwarebytes-AntiMalware and Avast AV, but nothing came up.
I had the computer taken to a place and they ran diagnostics and ended reinstalling Windows. After some looking online and testing of my own, I am beginning to think that it is Firefox, not Windows. Reason being is I was using Firefox (the new version the tech place guy installed when he reinstalled Windows) and it kept freezing up Windows, but once I force-quit it from CMD Prompt, Windows was fine. Any ideas on this anyone?