Moto

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Ok.. got a big prob..

ive had a few issues on the mobo at the moment with power issues.. and to fix it, i turned off the ACPI (i think) when a re-install of xp occured. Now the big problem is the RAM was not reading right on the mobo (bios counts it as 256 MB of ram when i have a 512 MB chip installed).. now this 133mhz std dimm ram...

Now the problem..

I thought i may need a new mobo, but i thought the most probale option was that one of the ram partions on my 512 mb chip,was have a blown or wateva, and therefore it was not reading right. So today went down to the comp store and paid £50 for a new chip.. thinkking ah this should be ok...

And as you could have guesses, this was a problem.. the ram will not read at all, and it is simply a 512 mb 133mhz dimm ram chip.. if i install is soley,comp will not boot.. if installed with the problem chip, the pc still thinks it had 256 mb installed.. So basically as you can see my ram is not reading right..

My conclusions were that oh,prob a dead chip sold to me, and this seems not to be the case, the BIOS about once out of 100 boots is reading i have a gb of ram installed.. it also oddly done this with the problem 512 mb chip sometimes..

Now ive changed slots with the new ram on its own- no boot... the only way the comp now works is with this 512 mb old chip (still reading as 256mb) is installed..

So now im kicking myself ive spent £50 on something which was not the problem,and nor does not work.. and seems to work odd times,so i cant return it,as its not faulty..

Anyone got any ideas on how to sort this out, and meyb use this chip? cus im pretty angry with this [-peep-] pc now! :mad:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
What chipset is your motherboard?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Moto

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2004
Mobo Spec:

Gigabyte
GA-7ZMMH

Rest of spec:

VIAKM133A/686B
Socket A FSB 200/266 CPU
2 DIMM/ Micro ATX Form Factor
Creative PCI 128 Sound
ATA100

Thats all the spec..

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
At first I suspected it might be a density issue, but that chipset can handle fairly high density RAM.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>