Access is denied to some my folders. How to regain access?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

Hello
I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account at
work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
Security
Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied. How
to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
Thanks.
12 answers Last reply
More about access denied folders regain access
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    > at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    > Security
    > Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    > How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    > Thanks.

    If you are administrator on the machine you should be able to take control
    of the folders. Right click on the folder(s) and select Properties. On the
    security tab add your ID back, giving it full control. If you are not able
    to do that, click the Advanced button and go to the Owner tab. Select your
    ID in the "Change owner to:" list, check "Replace owner on subcontainers and
    objects" and click Apply. That will make you the owner and you should then
    be able to reset the security permissions on the files/folders as well as
    have access to them.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    > at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    > Security
    > Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    > How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    > Thanks.

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > Hello
    > I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    > at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    > Security
    > Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    > How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    > Thanks.

    Please do not make multiple posts about the same problem. Keep posts
    about one subject in one thread. Wait at least 24 hours before making
    another post about the same subject. Patience is a virtue.

    Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    If I have been the Owner/Administrator since installation of XP, what has
    caused the sudden "access denied" to many of the folders? Did one of the MS
    upgrades cause this?

    "Malke" wrote:

    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    > > Hello
    > > I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    > > at work "Дмитрий Копничев (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    > > Security
    > > Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    > > How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    > > Thanks.
    >
    > Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Thanks for your reply.
    My account has administrative rights. I get "You do not have permission to
    view or edit the current permission settings for (folder name), but you can
    change auditing settings." This happened because I mistakenly removed every
    account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ×
    (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD Security Properties and
    changed an owner to "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)".
    Please, Help!
    "Tom Porterfield" <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >> at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    >> Security
    >> Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    >> How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > If you are administrator on the machine you should be able to take control
    > of the folders. Right click on the folder(s) and select Properties. On
    > the security tab add your ID back, giving it full control. If you are not
    > able to do that, click the Advanced button and go to the Owner tab.
    > Select your ID in the "Change owner to:" list, check "Replace owner on
    > subcontainers and objects" and click Apply. That will make you the owner
    > and you should then be able to reset the security permissions on the
    > files/folders as well as have access to them.
    > --
    > Tom Porterfield
    > MS-MVP Windows
    > http://support.telop.org
    >
    > Please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup only.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I get "You do not have permission to view or edit the current permission
    settings for (folder name), but you can change auditing settings." when I
    click on the security tab.
    "Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >> at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    >> Security
    >> Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    >> How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Please do not make multiple posts about the same problem. Keep posts about
    > one subject in one thread. Wait at least 24 hours before making another
    > post about the same subject. Patience is a virtue.
    >
    > Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    There is not the Owner tab in Advanced in Security tab.
    "Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >> at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    >> Security
    >> Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    >> How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Please do not make multiple posts about the same problem. Keep posts about
    > one subject in one thread. Wait at least 24 hours before making another
    > post about the same subject. Patience is a virtue.
    >
    > Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Boot to Safe Mode & perform the Security operations from that mode.

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > There is not the Owner tab in Advanced in Security tab.
    > "Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >> Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >>> Hello
    >>> I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >>> at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    >>> Security
    >>> Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    >>> How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    >>> Thanks.
    >>
    >> Please do not make multiple posts about the same problem. Keep posts
    >> about one subject in one thread. Wait at least 24 hours before making
    >> another post about the same subject. Patience is a virtue.
    >>
    >> Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic"

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    There is not the Owner tab in the Advanced in on Security tab in the Safe
    Mode too!
    "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > Boot to Safe Mode & perform the Security operations from that mode.
    >
    > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    >> There is not the Owner tab in Advanced in Security tab.
    >> "Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Please do not make multiple posts about the same problem. Keep posts
    >>> about one subject in one thread. Wait at least 24 hours before making
    >>> another post about the same subject. Patience is a virtue.
    >>>
    >>> Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421] -
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >>>
    >>> Malke
    >>> --
    >>> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    >>> Elephant Boy Computers
    >>> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >>> "Don't Panic"

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    There is not the Owner tab in the Advanced in on the Security tab in the
    folder properties even in the Safe Mode!
    > Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> Hello
    >> I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account
    >> at work "äÍÉÔÒÉÊ ëÏÐÎÉÞÅ× (Kopnichev@clearing.ru)" from my portable HDD
    >> Security
    >> Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became denied.
    >> How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    >> Thanks.
    >
    > Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    Right Click the Folder, select Security, next select Advanced and then go to
    the Owner tab and change the Ownership.
    --
    The_JAT

    "Dmitry Kopnichev" wrote:

    > There is not the Owner tab in the Advanced in on Security tab in the Safe
    > Mode too!
    > "R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    > > Boot to Safe Mode & perform the Security operations from that mode.
    > >
    > > "Dmitry Kopnichev" <kopn@hotbox.ruDELETE> wrote in message
    > >> There is not the Owner tab in Advanced in Security tab.
    > >> "Malke" <notrealemail@invalid.com> wrote in message

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.security,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin (More info?)

    I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my account at
    work "Дмитрий Копничев" from my portable HDD Security Properties and changed
    an owner to "Дмитрий Копничев".
    "urlamay" <urlamay@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > If I have been the Owner/Administrator since installation of XP, what has
    > caused the sudden "access denied" to many of the folders? Did one of the
    > MS
    > upgrades cause this?
    >
    > "Malke" wrote:
    >
    >> Dmitry Kopnichev wrote:
    >> > Hello
    >> > I mistakenly removed every account except "CREATOR OWNER" and my
    >> > account
    >> > at work "Дмитрий Копничев" from my portable HDD
    >> > Security
    >> > Properties, and access to some folders on my portable HDD became
    >> > denied.
    >> > How to regain the access to all my HDD folders?
    >> > Thanks.
    >>
    >> Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP [Q308421]:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic"

Security Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP