How to add audio Line In to notebook without one?

beherenow

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
How do I add an audio Line In jack to my brand-new Compaq notebook which does *not* have one? This may be hard to believe but it only has a Mic In. I believe Mic In is mono and poor quality (is this correct?)

The Creative Labs Extigy ($150)will do what I need, but I hope to find something cheaper. I don't need all the various connections the Extigy has (MIDI, optical, etc.) -- just plain stereo audio.

Dazzle makes a connector with Audio L, Audio R and Video In, and USB Out ($70). It's for recording videotapes on your computer. Could I use the audio inputs on this, ignoring the video?

(I crossposted to the Sound Cards forum -- I hope that's not a problem.)

Thanks much.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
Yes I noticed that with a lot of new notebooks. It may well be a high quality microphone port. In the volume control window, is the microphone in tab able to balance left and right?

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?

beherenow

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Yes, the mic level does have balance control.

But over the last 3 days of non-stop web reading I have learned all about the subject. I just posted a summary of what I've learned to Tom's Sound Card forum, so if anyone's interested or wants to follow up, please go there. I kinda started two threads and should stop this one to avoid cross-posts.

Thanks.

RaPTuRe

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2001
If it has balance, it has the ability of acccepting 2 channels input (i.e. left and right) which means it can be used as a line input. Ofcourse if you are looking for very High Quality input/output, you should definitely consider purchasing a dedicated PCMCIA sound card or Firewire/USB sound card.

RaPTuRe

Who's General Failure and why's he reading my disk?