XP required an importnat update

so it downloaded it and required an automatic re-start....
anyone know what happened last night when this happened?
why did this happen and what was the update needed?
the computer did all this without me

Your computer is set to receive automatic updates.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
> so it downloaded it and required an automatic re-start....
> anyone know what happened last night when this happened?
> why did this happen and what was the update needed?
> the computer did all this without me

Alias

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> Your computer is set to receive automatic updates.

And set to install them.

Alias

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>

> "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>> so it downloaded it and required an automatic re-start....
>> anyone know what happened last night when this happened?
>> why did this happen and what was the update needed?
>> the computer did all this without me

Bobby

And the update required a reboot.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

> "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
>> Your computer is set to receive automatic updates.
>
> And set to install them.
>
> Alias
>>

>> --
>> Don
>> Vancouver, USA
>>

>> "vg4t3mkd8" <hhh123@nowhere.org> wrote in message
>>> so it downloaded it and required an automatic re-start....
>>> anyone know what happened last night when this happened?
>>> why did this happen and what was the update needed?
>>> the computer did all this without me

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 15:07:44 +0200, "Alias"
>"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message

>> Your computer is set to receive automatic updates.

>And set to install them.

What's a bit scary, is that XP SP2 will install updates that have
automatically downloaded when it shuts down, even if you had
explicitly set Automatic Update to "automatically download updates,
but let me choose when to install them".

Software that acts differently to the way it claims to act, especially
when what it does constitutes a risk, looks like malware to my eye.

Forget http://cquirke.blogspot.com and check out a
better one at http://topicdrift.blogspot.com instead!